Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selling a bike.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Pauly85, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. Im moving up in the world with my motorbike experience. So im selling off my Honda RVF 400. I have a buyer for it. Could anyone tell me the steps of selling it. I live in Melbourne. So do I have to go into VicRoads and talk to them too. Any info would be a great help.

  2. 1. Get the green transfer form from Vicroads
    2. Get deposit from buyer
    3. Once sail is confirmed go and get a rwc.
    4. Get balance of payment, buyer/seller complete their parts of the form.
    5. Hand in completed form to Vicroads

    & it's as simple as that.

    I guess you've never sold a vehicle before?
  3. How did u guess :). First vechile in ths country for me to sell so its all new to me. Thanks for the help mate..
  4. It's not as daunting as it may seem. It you still have questions have a quick read of the form while you are at VR and ask them on the spot. The sellers obligations are all written on the form.

    You're main 2 obligations are once sail confirmed to obtain a rwc and 2ndly to hand in completed form to VR as soon as sake has been finalised.
  5. hmmm sydneys different, should be the bloody same Australia wide
  6. It's not your job to hand in the form. it's the job of the buyer..

    Just make sure you get the person to sign something saying they've taken the bike once they've taken the bike so if there's any speeding tickets or anything you won't get them.
  7. Yeah NSW is so much easier.

    Transfer form is on back of rego paper, write the how much the bike sold for, details of buyer, top half breaks off. Seller can drop top half to RTA or punch details of sale online. Buyer takes bottom half to RTA and pays transfer fee.

    No legal need for RWC.
  8. To be on the safe side you should chase it up with VR a few days after the sale to make sure the person who bought it has handed the from in and indeed it has been transferred from you to them. Otherwise if they haven't and rack up fines then you will have the headache of sorting those issues out.

    You still have a copy and if the buyer hasn't handed it in you can always go and hand it in and make sure the transfer takes place.

    It's the same in Victoria except for the top half of the form breaking off. The form has 3 copies, Vicroads, buyer & seller.

    The seller isn't obliged in Victoria as such to get the rwc but for the transfer to take place it needs to be obtained. Whether buyer or seller they decide amongst each other.

    However it's most common practice for the seller to obtain the rwc.
  9. Id heavily advise against buying a vehicle without roadworthy certificate. Ive been in that situation and paid for my mistake dearly...