Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

selling a bike - defying logic

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Guys,

they say that if you go to buy a car privately....be wary of an engine that has been 'pre warmed up' before you roll up.

well this week we have checked out 3 bikes. one in a dealership, and 2 privately......the dealer one started up, the 2 private ones didnt crank over, not enough juice in battery to turn it over. both times they had at least an hour warning that we were arriving, so even if it had a dodgy battery, they could put it on a charger and try and crank it over before the buyer arrives.

they both claimed that they were happily riding the bike, the DAY before........yeah right!!!

is this normal in mbike world, or are these just thick people that have no idea?
  2. It's pretty normal. Buyer beware.
  3. Time to offer them half their asking price :)
  4. When I had my 1st inspection I washed it, started it checked all the lights and stuff. Sure my bikes less then a year old but presentation is 50% of the sale
  5. I had that happen to me when I sold my R1.

I had my new bike already so I was only riding the R1 once a week to keep it from just sitting there. I had ridden it 2 days prior to an interested party coming over and the night before I checked to make sure it was starting fine.

Started just fine.

The next night when they came over the bike wouldn't start.
    Turns out the battery went flat and it only had one solid start left in it which was used the night before.
    The rides I went on were maybe 10 minutes long. 15 at most. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to properly keep the battery charged.

So yes, it does happen.

It probably doesn't happen to bike dealers because they have the experience of knowing what to take care of to have it start the first time every time. That is there business.

Next time I sell a bike I will know to give it a good overnight charge before anyone comes around to see it.
  6. sometimes the plugs could foul up as well if the bike isnt being ridden around.........and only started up for a few minutes at a time and on choke............this happened to me when selling my bike.
  7. There's some moron sellers out there. Theres some guy that has a eBay ad that says that his Duc has termi pipes, and you can have the originals if it meets a certain price but doesn't disclose that. So basically unroadworthy, and won't tell you what he really wants.

How can they think that will help them sell?
  8. Selling Ducs seems to be a whole other game, I went with a mate shopping for a 1098 - people had dead batteries but were including trickle chargers????

Also wanted crazy prices and justified it with the old low kms... 90% have less than 2000kms a year, strange buying experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. When i brought mine i went down to have a look at it, bike started fine and i was happy, paid the deposit. Funny enough when i went to pick it up it cranked over once and thats all it had left. Luckily the owner was helpful and grabbed some leads to get it going. The bike had been sitting for up to 6 months and i think this would happen a lot with forgotten bikes, specially if lots of people had viewed the bike and it has been started and turned right off a few times.

I was pretty hesitant to turn it off at the petrol station to say the least haha.
  10. True leaving a battery is going to kill it. A bike unridden is probably worse than high kms.
  11. 6 months is OK i would think, any longer and i would like to see some storage solutions of some description, gas drained, rubber protected etc etc. I'm not familiar with how long term storage with bikes should be done.
  12. the bike has only got 3,000 kms. the amount of people who buy a new bike, get their L plates, then flog em off with just a few thousand KMS is amazing in the LAMS market. the lowest was 600KMS!!!!! they buy a new bike......then sell it. its crazy waste of money.

its looks ok from outside. asking $3,500, i will offer $2,500....subject to a test ride assuming it starts.

its only a slug to get my chick mobile, and then my son after that.
  13. Perhaps this reflects one of the flaws of the probationary period for new riders. I've become aware of a few cases where people just pretty much wait out the year doing very little riding because they can't wait to get the big bike they've set their hearts on, and riding something smaller or less powerful until then doesn't fit the self image. The whole idea of using the time to build skills seems irrelevant to them.
  14. Had this happen to me for the first time when selling my bike... bit annoying, but probably related to it sitting there for a while and being started for 2 or 3 minutes at a time.
  15. I bought the VFR with out any real inspection and on both occasions that i inspected it we had both ridden to a meeting location.

Bit of a gamble considering the bike is a rare 24 year old complicated V4 race replica.
    When i say rare i mean ive seen one other bike in the last 2 years come up for sale.

But so far so good besides not being able to start on very cold mornings sometimes, an issue yes, but its 24 years old and all VFR400s are notoriously hard to start cold so i cut it slack in that remark.
  16. Not really surprising, my Enfield use to be able to die after just a day or two sometimes, so I just left it on the charger leading up to inspections. If you have a charger yourself, take it with you next time, if you get a dead battery hook it up and check it out yourself
  17. I do find it fun when dealers are selling on ebay to send them ridiculous low ball offers, karma.
  18. Did the exact same thing when I sold mine on the weekend. Washed it, looked brand new (Bike pretty much is). Guy saw it and fell in love.
  19. i got another one for you......

you walk into a dealer. your eyeballing a model in the used bikes section. it has 4,700kms on the clock. its a 2007 LAMS cruiser.

the owner tells us that it was just traded, and they put 2 BRAND NEW TYRES on it......we can see the new tyres as he has claimed.

can anyone tell me what is suspicious about this? its to do with MATHS.....
  20. I'll take a guess. Only 4700km and they put new tyres on it? You may be thinking the bike should have done more k's to need a tyre change?

I would be expecting that tyres that are at least 5 years old would have been changed regardless of the k's if a dealer was selling the bike. They could also have been squared off considerably too.

Wouldn't think it is that suspicious though.