Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Self servicing?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Leighbus, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Hi everyone, I just picked up my first bike on the weekend, it's a 2007 vtr250 with 12000k's on the clock. I'm not sure yet if ill do my own servicing or just take it to a shop. But can anyone tell me how often motorbikes need to be serviced and what things need to be done, changed or checked each service?

Although I've never had any experience with motorbikes I do all my own servicing and maintenance on my cars so I shouldn't have too much of a problem with bikes.
  2. Service interval may appear on owner's manual.

or on workshop service manual if you can get one as hard copy or pdf file.

I believe you can do service yourself as long as bike is not much different compared to car in mechanical term
  3. Here's a copy of the service manual if yours didn't come with, page 42-43 should do it, seems to be periodic instead of x kms.

Forgive me if you're underage, there appears to be a naked lady on the last page...
  4. oh, I remember that naked female. :whistle:
  5. I was the same mate. Knew lots about cars never touched a bike. Pretty easy to pick up. Basic servicing is easy. It was worth scrolling down 330 pages also ;-)