Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Self-Maintenance issues that have stumped me

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Jimboss, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Hi guys and gals I have just began servicing my bike (first time and love it) and I have been stumped with a few issues that hopefuly someone can resolve.

1) In my Honda maintenance book - it states that I should Clean my Fuel Strainer Screen every service - I cant find it (Truth is I dont know what it is). I have a KEIHIN VE 39BWJJ carby - What does it involve/What does it look like?

2) On each of my front and rear NISSIN disc brakes there is a grease nozzle. What type of grease do i use?, How regularly? and what is it for?

3) Are there any other areas that I have to grease where and how often?

4) When servicing your bike do you use torque wrenches - So far I have winged it(using care). Are there any good torque wrenches that you can recommend (lower price scale).

5) Suspenision: Do you service your suspension - hopefully not a dumb question. On the front I have Showa KBR 731/back Showa KBR 651. How much do they cost and where is a good place to buy them?

6) Do you have any tips or wise words to offer on maintaining your bikes?

A good tip that I can offer (which I got from the internet) for when servicing your bike is to shut off the fuel on your ride home prior to changing the oil, then let the bike die in the garage from lack of fuel. This will allow you to turn over the engine with the starter after the oil change to build up oil pressure prior to starting it up.

Sorry for the long post but I muchly appreciate any help/guidance - Can you recommend any sites with pics and diagrams for the above parts.

Once again thanks Jimboss
  2. 1. You don't mention exactly what model your Honda is. I would suggest looking at the fuel tap. Some have a small bowl incorporated into the tap -with said screen hidden there.
    Or your bike may have an inline fuel filter -somewhere in the fuel line. Not that I've seen one on a stock bike, only guessing here.

2. Those grease nozzles on your brake calipers are actually not grease nozzles (or nipples) They are in fact bleed nipples -used for replacing the brake fluid (draining it to be more precise) or bleeding any air out of the system should you perform any repair work on the braking system.

3. If you can find any grease nipples on your bike, then go for your life. Most newer bikes seem to be completly devoid of such devices. A shame I reckon. If you want to get really keen you can remove the forks from your bike, dismantle the triple clamps & inspect & pack the bearings with new grease. Same for rear suspension pivot points & also swingarm bearings. You've got to be keen to do that though. I just wait for them to wear out & then replace them & pack with grease.

4. A torque wrench is a very very good idea for noobie mechanics. They seem to either leave things too loose, or tighten them till they strip, & give another 1/2 turn for good measure. As for a reasonably priced brand, I use a 3/8 drive T&E torque wrench. The one with a needle & scale on it. Very very basic, but extremely accurate. It has no clicker type torque setting arrangement -you have to read the torque directly off the scale, but as I said, is cheap & very accurate. About $70-$80. And was checked against a calibrated test wrench & found to be spot on.

5. About the only servicable suspension item would be the front forks. These require an oil change from time to time. And greasing of suspension pivot points.

6. Buy a workshop manual for your bike. Invaluable tool. Otherwise you are just guessing a lot of the time. Thats all I can think of at the minute.
  3. First and foremost..... Get hold of the workshop manual for your bike.
    The rest will follow.
  4. Workshop manual will clear up most of those questions.

A torque wrench I consider to be an absolute essential for things like tightening discs and things like the engine head... Sure.... it can be done without, but you're risking a lot of damage if you tighten even a ilttle bit incorrectly.

Pick one up and make sure you check it against the service manual when you get one.
  5. Thanks guys especially Roarin - my bikes is a Honda 95 XL 250S Degree. I havent found a manual for it - its not a common bike. Everything I look up for on the net is either for a Honda XL pre 1985 and everything else is in Japanese or Russian - Sayonara and dos va da nya is all I now in those languages oh I forgot saki and vodka.
    I will give the fork service a go - is there a special oil for it.

As for the Fuel Strainer Screen - aghh its giving me the #%^&!. If anybodys knows where it is please let me know - I dont have an inline fuel filter but it sounds like a good idea are they easy to install - My guess is cut into the fuel line (between the fuel tap and the carb) and put in the filter. Could someone please let me know.

As for the torque wrench I will check out the T&E.

Thanks Netriders
  6. I forgot to add - how stupid of me thinking the valve on the brakes was for greasing - Thanks Roarin - you saved me - Literally
  7. To get a w/shop manual I had to contact Suzuki as nowhere had one ( I tried Haynes,Clymer and Gregorys ect).The manual as said earlier will prove invaluable.

The fuel filter might be where mine is,just behinfd the fuel tap.Close the tap and take of the tank then remove the tap and there it is. It might be a little different on your bike as I dont know anything about the various models or what they look like.I can only speak from what I have seen/found myself.

enjoy the learning curve and try not to let it do ya head in heheheh
  8. The tool shop at vic market has a reasonable torque wrench for $50. I got me one last weekend.
  9. I found me fuel strainer - right where Scorpious said it would be ( a small screw under the Fuel tap and full of gunk) - Im going past Vic Market tommorrow - i'll check it out -
  10. Before you buy one get a workshop manual and find out what specifications have to be met.
    After you have specs go to a reputable tool shop and buy a decent quality tool. Cheap wrenches are notorious for poor calibration.
    How do I know - 30 years in the trade (and the torque wrench I bought back then is still in calibration!). A decent torque wrench (eg Warren and Brown) will set you back more like $200.
    If you cant afford/ justify that dont bother buying anything at all - the result is the same.
  11. I can only agree there. The socket set I bought originally set me back around $40. Cheap by every stretch. Worked well on light maintenance.

Blew the head gasket in the car. At this point the socket set saw consistent and prolonged use as I set about changing the head gasket, timing belt, and reworking the valve train. Ended up doing a complete engine recondition. Before I'd gone a quarter of the way through, I'd stripped the sockets I'd used most. The 10, 12 and 14 were all stripped and unable to be used. I went out and bought a real set of tools, cost a damn sight more expensive but have lasted to this day and show no signs of wear.

Good tools are worth more than you spend on them.
  12. Cant agree more strongly. A decent set of tools will last you a long time if not forever.Cheap tools will drive you nuts when they break at the most in oppertune moment and will cost you heaps in the longer term.

Do yourself and your machinery a favour buy some good stuff,and if your clever it wont be the most expensive either

Glad you found the filter.

Advice will cost you nothing.

Ignorance/Stubborness/Bloody Mindedness may cost you dearly
  13. It's probably best to wait till you get a service manual - this will tell you the oil weight (fork oil comes in various weights from 5 to 20) and volume. Both of these factors will affect the feel (compression and rebound damping) of the forks, and have potential to be dangerous is set incorrectly.

If you try a local wrecker or import shop, they might have manuals you could copy or look at (if they're friendly!). Good to see you're enjoying working on the bike - For me, it's a quite enjoyable part of riding a motorbike.