Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Selecting a bike - first timer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jimmyjames182, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hi, new member here. Have been doing a little research on which bike to get.

I'm 36, 6'2 and 100kg.

I'd like to start out on something with a comfortable upright riding position - budget up to $4500.

I'll be doing weekend riding and the odd freeway commute.

I want to start on a 250 then move on after I have a few years riding under my belt.

Would like a shaft drive bike if possible, seems they cost less to service however this is not a deal breaker.

At first the virago looked the go but I'm told they don't suit tall guys. I've been recommended the vtr250 as a vtwin is freeway suitable? Also the gs500 though that might test the budget. Any other suggestions?

Ta.

2. well I'm 6'2", 90kg and 36.... and had a budget of $4.5K for a bike!

I wasnt so hung up on the upright position though and the whole 'feet forward' thing of cruisiers just doesnt sit right with me. So I looked around for GPX or ZZR and found my ZZR for $3.5k (11K on the clock).

People say I look a bit big for it - but I find it very comfortable and although I'm sure its not the quickest bike in the world its plenty quick enough for now.
    Some sport style bikes might be a bit cramped but I could sit on the ZZR for hours!

Have fun shopping!

3. Jimmy, If you don't mind the look of a naked bike, take a look at the 250 Hornet. Not as small as some of the other 250's, heaps of grunt ( for a 250 ), semi-upright, comfy, and a great commuter/weekend toy.

4. I think the only shaft drives in your budget would be 20 year old BMWs like a R65. Quite bulletproof if you look after it but there's a decent chance you can get a lemon that would take a lot of money to fix.

5. I'm about 6'2" and 90kg's. I had a VTR 250 and what an excellent learner! I rode anywhere and everywhere in all conditions, no probs.

6. Or a Honda CX500.

7. Honda CB400. Although may be a out of your price range. Awesome bike!