Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seized bush removal

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by rs101, Jun 22, 2007.

1. I know I am cheating a bit here (Car chassis bushes), but I am being driven to my wits end with this one.
    Now, the standard bush removal technique is to remove the inner metal tube, Rubber bush, then hacksaw the outer bushing, without damaging the parent hole, and in a perfect world, the bush can be lightly tapped out.

Sounds easy?

So did I (after about 6 hours, I have approximately 0.8/2 (of four total) bushes removed).
    I ended up making about four cuts into the outer bushings, and they are that siezed, they are peeling from the parent hole. (and yes, I have cut the whole way through the bushes)
    Heated them til they were red hot (LPG torch), quenched them to get a bit of the good ol' thermal shock, and still nothing.

Any ideas?

2. Can you get a porta-power in there to press then out?
  3. What sort of car and what bushes?
    The may be vulcanised in place.
  4. Its a series 3 Landrover, and from what I understand (and according to directions) its just interference fit. It just has had the benefit of sitting in there for 30 years.
    ED: they are chassis spring bushes, through the chassis
  5. Shouldnt be anything special. Sounds like you're going about it the right way.
    Good luck.
  6. Run a weld bead around the inside of the bush. If contraction doesn't loosen it, you can get a drift in against the weld and pound it out.
    If that doesn't work, gas axe. Lots of heat. Get it red hot, and bash at it with a cold chisel. Sort of fold the edges in, then drive it out. If you can get the sleeve to deform inwards (using chisel), it will decrease in diameter and will fall out this way.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Thanks gang, didn't have to go to such an extent as running a weld bead, but the LPG torch threw enough heat to entail bush removal. (will post comparison later, but damn, did the heating make a difference.)
  8. Always works! Another trick is lots of heat, and squirt some oil in behind the bush when it's hot. Really draws the oil in.
    I'd thought I had forgotten this stuff from ages ago(when I had ancient cars).

Regards, Andrew.