Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seeking hard-to-find helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by El Damo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. I'm looking at investing in a new helmet and moving my current one to spare/pillion duties, but I'm having trouble finding what I'm after.

What I want is a helmet with a fibreglass / composite shell (as opposed to injected/moulded plastic) that has a built-in sun visor/shield. So far the only helmets I've found that meet those requirements are Schuberths, but as far as I know those aren't available in Australia. Yes, I know that BMW helmets are made by Schuberth, but the BMW road helmets available in Australia don't seem to have sun visors (there's no mention of it in their brochure).

The only helmets I can find in Australia which have built-in visors are the Shark S800 and several Nolans, but they all have plastic shells.

Does anyone know if what I'm after is available in Australia, and if so, where can I find it?
  2. Well I don't know for sure that such a helmet is not available, but I have been looking around for the same thing, off and on, for about a year, and still haven't found anything.

The Schuberths are the only ones that really do what I want:
    1. Internal Sun visor with external control. Usable while riding.
    2. Focused on keeping the helmet quiet
    3. Recognise a riders desire to have a bluetooth sound system in the helmet (although they took their bluetooth solution off the market, because it didn't work :roll: )
    4. With the option of a flip face in the range. (Though I am still undecided about using one of these.)

So if you find what you are looking for, let the rest of us know as well. :grin:
  3. HJC have the FS-10. Might be what you are after. If you check out one of the rear views you can see the slide for the tinted visor. Don't know if it is available in OZ though. :cool:
  4. Why does it have to be a fibreglass/composite shell, when the ABS helmets faired as well, if not better in the very comprehensive testing posted up on another thread here?

Regards, Andrew
  5. :WStupid: :popcorn:
  6. Doesn't appear to be, from searching the internet anyway. Hence the problem. Lots of decent helmets in the world, not available or approved for use in Australia.
  7. Hey El Damo, I had a look at the Shark site www.shark-helmets.com and the S800 doesn't have an internal visor, just an add on external accessory visor. What did you mean by built-in visor?

Take a look at the Shark EvoLine www.shark-evoline.com I'm not sure I'd trust the chin piece, but it is an interesting design. :cool: It has an internal sun visor as well. :grin:
  8. I was trying to get my hands on a Nolan N103 with an internal visor a few months ago and was told that the internal sun visors aren't making it through Australian Standards testing.

They are becoming popular overseas so we may see them here eventually.