Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by squidler, Jan 6, 2014.

1. hello everybody my first post here

just new to the riding world but ready to get me a first bike

torn between the honda cbr125r and the yamaha yzf r15
    both similar price but still trying to figure out which direction to go.

anyone with tips or experience with either? lol
  2. Been riding cbr125r and it was a easy ride , easy to handle around the corner .
    Never been on r15 but I think it looks more sporty , more powerful - no idea about handling until test ride it.
  3. Hello and welcome :)
    You'd be best to ride both the bikes (and maybe a few more like a secondhand VTR250, also small-ish and light but a better all-rounder) before making a decision.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thanks guys

not sure why the intro was moved from the welcome area?
    but anyways, i think i'll have to go around to a few places and test drive them

i did look at the vtr250 and ninja 250 but as a learner was thinking it might be better to get something new as i have no clue about fixing anything on a bike if anything goes wrong. plus the pricetag is still a bit more expensive.
  5. Most japanese bikes of 250 cc and above are unlikely to have anything majorly go wrong under 50000kms.

They are all good choices though, just buy one. Its your first bike not your last
  6. Got an R15 in April and thoroughly recommend it as a 1st bike. Light, nimble, cheap to buy & run. I'm 172cm and the seat height and seating position is terrific. Professional reviews mentioned no vices and I haven't found any. Made in India in Yamaha Factory, so the thinking is it will have to go a long time between servicing. Read one owner report that said fork oil needs replacing sooner than recommended, I wonder if I'll be able to notice that.

I commute every day on it. More power would be useful at times but it has enough to keep ahead of most traffic, will do 100kph highway speeds with a little to spare. There's another Netrider who does a 100kph commutes on an R15 and is happy with it.

But... show it to a hill and you'll be dropping down through the gears and pining the throttle. What do you want for the money? You've got 6 gears and the gear box works well. 4 stroke single has linear power delivery.

Perhaps would've liked something like a 250 or bigger with ABS, but that's a big step in $ for a new bike. You're also gonna need a bit for gear.

There's a lot to learn about riding before you throw power in to the mix. Will take me a while to be able to out ride the little thing.

The concept of test rides for someone with zero experience like me was a bit of a hurdle, so I just checked out as many reviews as I could.

Good bike to learn on. Fun too.

Good luck...

7. Not sure who moved it, new intro posts are a bit about yourself only then if you want advice make a new post in the appropriate forum, ie bike reviews in this case. Hope that helps
  8. I'd go bigger and used (low km if you can).
    General service you will pick up easy and plenty of help here.

Assuming you don't hold an open car license, you will be on restrictions for at least 3 years. You'll get bored with a smaller bike very soon. A possible upside with a new smaller capacity bike is that you might get decent resale on it. Not a given so I'd factor that in also.

Also, consider insurance costs when you consider your purchase. Check on quotes before you buy. They can vary between bikes and with insurer.

Will this be financed?
  9. cheers for the feedback guys

all good about moving the thread, realised i should have put the thread better.

thanks AL for the review,
    do you find it's ever too small? especially the tyre size?

NSSherlock, i haven't considered finance options yet but if i can come up with a 250cc at a decent price i might, was thinking the 150cc and pricetag looked bang for buck but wasn't sure if it was too small of a bike to start with.
  10. #10 NSSherlock, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  11. thanks the advice! liking this forum very much already.

CB400s and other 250s are a little out of the budget for now but it looks like it might be worth stretching it for the long run.
    most riding will be done zipping around town back and forth. not so much on the high way or longer freeway country rides.

am really liking the cb400 and vtr250 but did have the concern of the age gap from the r15 or cbr125 but by what you said for upkeep, i still might keep looking at those options.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I have never seen those 125/150s with many more than 30000kms so I would expect that a 250 with 20000kms on it or a brand new 125 has the same life left till major issues.

Go do a search on bikesales sorting by high mileage for both choices, you will see what I mean.
  13. cheers for that vertical.
    i did a search and i think i understand what you mean in terms of bike life. i'll have to take that into account when purchasing.
  14. My advice, don't buy a new bike for your first, especially a 125/150, chances are you'll get bored with it pretty quick and do your dough. As some of the guys have said already, best bet is to get a low k used bike 250 or more. You only need to ride it as hard as your skills allow and if you upgrade later or decide riding isn't for you, chances are you won't take a big loss.
    Learn the basic maintenance routines for your bike, if you need an owners/workshop manual there are links on here to help you find one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. #15 Al_Cam, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Too small? No can't say I have - but I am only 172cm/ 5' 8" (66kg wringing wet) The tyre width is at times embarrassing but that's it:oops:. In the dry the "Zapper Nylogrip" are better than me. I have only managed one Saturday morning Netrider beginners "Around the cones in the car-park" session and it was bloody surprising how much grip it had. Really trying quick weaving through cones I ran out of ability and courage :chicken: but not grip. I think it may be a very grippy surface at Elwood.

It weighs 131kg wet which is pretty damned light. And with only 13kw you aren't going to light up the rear. The owners manual does make a point about "not changing the tyre size 'cause Yamaha has done extensive testing" and with my limited experience I think they may be right. Older 2011 model (see photo 2):

The professional reviews sometimes mention softer tyres being put on for invitational tests at tracks but not wider. Having said that they just released the Version 2 and put wider tyres on front & back.

Oh it does have stuff all storage. There is a compartment under the seat about the volume of a VHS cassette. You might cram a very light rain jacket in there, but I haven't bothered jamming my goretex in there (I've got the 2011 model) they did raise the pillion seat up on the version 2 which should give a smidgeon more room. I use a 30L Kriega seat-bag which sits quiet happily on the pillion.

O.K, I'm doing a big sell job here. If you are thinking of going for rides with others you will get left behind with only 13kw! And I did pin the throttle through the first 3 gears up a hill thinking "Ho Hum" on the way to work this morning.

Don't discount second hand 250s or larger though. HART in Melbourne use the VTR250 for example and you think any volume model from one of the big manufacturers would have to be reasonably bullet proof.

Resale value new versus old? I guess a 250 will hold value better than a 150. I paid 3,500 (or was it 3,700?) on the road, run-out model and I don't expect to ever get much back if I ever sell/trade.

Al the Waffler.
  16. thanks guys,
    i dont think i would have gone new. be too upset if i dropped a new bike.

will be testing out a few shortly.
    wasnt originally after extra power but will test a couple of 250cc bikes to compare. the extra cc's might come in handy. the extra weight on the bike might also help feel more stable on the road without feeling like the wind might push me over lol
  17. It's not so much extra power (well that is at the root of it), but the ability to comfortably sit on the highway speed limit with a bit to spare (such as being able to go up a hill without losing speed). As well as being able to ride around without constantly changing gears to keep the engine on the boil.
  18. Spot on. When you come to a hill on a 150cc R15 and just cruising at say 4,500 RPM, you either change down gear(s) or slow down. At speed and a steep hill you may run out of puff. E.G. there's one hill on the Eltham-Warrandyte Rd (hills & "twisties"), where I can only manage 60kmh tops. That is the signed speed limit, but an 80 zone is coming next and the occasional vehicle gets a bit impatient. However "I've giv'n her all she's got captain, an' I canna give her no more." So the little blue fanger has some power to spare, but not a lot - that's one reason to go for a bigger bike. I would imagine on a 100kmh highway it may not take much of a hill.
  19. You can just draft semis though when that happens. Thats what i did on the 110cc, good for another 10kmh.

Wait I didnt say that, that is totally irresponsible in a learners thread.
  20. posted in wrong area. placed in welcome thread.