Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Cronus, Dec 2, 2010.

1. So after buying my new cbr600rr which is just brilliant i have been thinking about security and now seeing even someone like motolegion having his bike pilfered i think its a must and need to get right on it.

So what is recommended and what do people have?
    my local bike shop recommended motorader, are they any good?

2. Big badass mongrel dog and a spade..what the dog dont eat, you bury.
    It's no like anyone is going to miss scum like that is it?
  3. Pile of stuff if you look at the bottom of the page at 'similar threads'. Useful stuff all over.

The biggest recommendation as a security device is insurance. Doesnt cost much over third party for fire and theft if one cant afford the whole hog of comprehensive.
  4. Hmmm, I have secure parking at work and nasty arse dogs at home. Don't leave unattended for long elsewhere. If someone wants it that bad they'll take it - lift into a ute in 3 seconds unless you chain to a pole or sumthin.
  5. Agreed with Jeimbo, disk locks are popular with some people but imo if someone wants it they'll get it regardless.
    3 people can easily lift a bike into a van or ute even if the wheels dont spin and steering is locked.

An alarm may deter some, how its triggered would be interesting though..

But insurance is definitely the number 1 option.
    Most places even throw in fire and theft as standard with their 3rd party policies.
  6. If you're worried about it walking from your home, then a shed or garage is best. Out of sight, out of mind. Add some locked but removable internal bars across the door, loop some 10 or 12 mm grade 80 chain through the frame of your bike -not just a wheel, and padlock it to a covered anchor point mounted permanently to your concrete floor. Add a silent alarm to your shed with a phone dialer programmed with your mobile number, and you're set. Time is of the essence. The longer it takes the thief to free your pride and joy, the longer you have to make it home, or wake up, and then teach them a lesson in respecting other peoples property.
  7. Or alternately pull a gun on you and make you help them load the bike into their van before beating seven shades of shit out of you. These guys sometimes come in packs.

Anything you can do to slow them down will help. But really, insurance is the best option.

If it's any consolation, you're much much much much much much much more likely to throw your bike down the road than have it flogged.

8. Just to put the record straight - it was not stolen from me - but rather from the person who bought it from me.

I sold it to raise $$$ to make helmets
  9. my bike is chained, i have a dog and shovel with katana sword accessory and a huge spider <--- this one even i gotta watch it goes me some days lol
  10. I have a simple 'scream lock' on my bike. It is a motion-sensing, case-hardened padlock that emits 3 warning beeps when it detects any movement/shock and then a 120dB siren if it senses anything within 30sec of that first incident. If you take the bike of the centrestand, move the handlebars or place something on the seat its enough to set the sucker off when attached to the rear disc.

The batteries are easily replaceable and it comes with 2 sets so you've got a spare. The lock itself is quite solid and has a quality locking mechanism, which comes with three special 'E' keys... which I'm informed that you cannot cut or pick at the current time. You can use it as a regular, non-alarmed lock simply by flipping the locking loop.

Looks like this, worth about $80:

I would also recommend fire/theft insurance as its only an extra $150 or so for most bikes and riders.

Cheers - boingk
  11. I use a mongoose MCA500 which has a full paging system for upto 500 meters away from the bike and has an immobiliser as well as siren. Costs about $550 fitted. Work really well i have also purchased seperately a tracking device which is small and hidden so in the event they rip alarm out and take off (dont know how they would do it) then there is still the tracking device which cant be found unless you know where it is.. then if bike is taken turn up to their house for some vigilate justice before calling the police saying they attacked you and it was self defence. If you need any details on where to get the alarm just pm me.
  12. I really don't want to be one of those annoyingly cynical guys (probably too late anyway?) but I have one of those. When you cup your hand over it you can't hear the alarm at all. Still, stops monkeys hopping on your bike to pose for photos etc.
  13. What's the tracking device worth?
  14. Insurance.
  15. I agree - if someone wants your bike enough to get a group of mates, a van, and then break into your locked garage, they really want it, probably more than you do. I say let them have it, and then it is a problem for the Police and your insurer. You will get a shiny new bike for the effort (better then a trip to the hospital).

My 'general' rules for parking my bikes:
    If I am storing the bike (eg. overnight while at home, while at work), keep it out of sight.
    If I am parking the bike (stopped for lunch, dropped into a shop), keep it in plain sight.

My reasons for this? It is very easy for an organised group to turn up at 3am and lift your bike off the street - chances are unless they are hunting your bike they won’t bother to search if they can't see it, so put the thing inside. On the other hand, organised criminals tend to be smart enough to know how best to protect themselves and the idea of turning up and lifting a bike in the middle of the day from a busy shopping strip wouldn't sit well - plenty of witnesses, high chance of CCTV. Smart parking will normally dissuade any organised thieves because they know they can continue on to find someone not as smart as you. The only remaining problem is thieves-of-opportunity, normally just singular people who see a (slim) chance and take it. As these scum lack organisation/friends, they are normally dissuaded by simple things such as disc locks and alarms - make it hard for them to push your bike away and they will give up quickly enough (just hope they don't decide to drop it on its side).

Finally, not having a popular/expensive bike helps. Less interest in chop-shopping a DR650 then an R1.
  16. I've installed a Cyclone 866f (http://www.freymoto.com/cyclone_866F.php), and I'm happy with it thus far.
    Immobilizer / tilt and shock sensing / it's own internal battery backup.
    It doesn't have proximity alert (didn't want it myself) and a paging system is an optional extra, so if you want those maybe look elsewhere.
    There are plenty of them around, some need professional installation whilst others can be done yourself.
    Having an alarm installed can get you a discount on your insurance, so it's worth considering.

I also have a big "eff-off!" disc lock for when parked in public and knowing I'll be away from it for a long time.

GodsPetMonkey's general rules for parking are spot-on too!

I've had one guy hop on my bike thus far. Not sure if he was intending to steal it or just doing the "I want to sit on this and see how it feels" thing a few idiots are inclined to do... but it was both relieving, and bloody funny, to run out of the shop and see the back of someone as they bolted when the siren started screaming!
  17. I was using a similar disc lock with built in motion alarm when I had to park my bike on the street at home. I found the motion alarm would be set off and the slightest disturbance, a car driving past etc, hell even a blast of wind it seemed would send the bugger off.

Had to stop using it because it was way too sensitive. It was very loud too, would not have been covered by a cupped hand.

This was the one... http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/XZZSeries/XZZ6LWhite/page1/
  18. That's the same as mine. All you have to do is put your hand over the black section and you can't hear it anymore.
  19. ive been looking at some bikes and how they are stored at night... Milton Rd parked on the footpath, Mahar St Zillmere parked on footpath and Sandgate Rd parked on footpath...

whats the bet if i did this it would be gone before i even got into the gate