Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Security Measures

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by kyro_02, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Just wondering if anyone uses any security, and if so what.. ? I am thinking about purchasing a Secure U Shackle Lock .. are they generally any good in terms of people picking the lock or w/ever ?

also there is a Secure U Shackle Lock that has an alarm on it......

what other options are there? perhaps a shotty on you at all times :p

Secure U Shackle Lock picture:

20f6_2.JPG

2. Xena Disc lock with alarm
    Xena motion detector thingy
    Chain.
    Bike alarm
    etc
    INSURANCE!

3. even with that lock bike wheel can be put on skate board and moved to a ute id go with a good loud alarm possibly a disc lock with alarm ive seen them somewere just not sure were

4. Tell us where you keep your bike (carport etc) and we'll advise further.
    Generally, the best deterrent is out of sight, even if it means putting a gate in a wall etc.

Regards, Andrew.

5. bit hard to carry a gate around on ya bike id hate to buy a bike and not be able to take it out of the backyard

6. out of sight means the thief can steal it with nobody is on sight.

i'd recommend to get XENA. had 2 people already that 'touched' my bike when i shortly left it. the alarm just goes off :grin:

7. I use a key to lock the ignition.

If they want it, they will take it.

8. :WStupid:

My first bikes had the alarms in addition to disc locks.

Stopped using em ages ago. If someone wants your shit
    they'll take it no matter what security measures you have.

Safest option is to put the bike in your bedroom each night
    & during the day, next to your work desk. :wink:

9. Couldn't agree more!

I have disc lock thing but that will only stop the dumb ones.

I leave my car unlocked 99% of the time at home, i figure if they want something inside they can have it and i wont have to pay for a new lock or window as well. :wink:

Insurance is your friend.

Jamie

10. I have thought about alarms and locks etc, and always go back to the thought that locks only keep honest people out. If somebody would dare to steal a bike, unless its a amature or joyrider, they know their way around all the security measures.
    As for alarms, how many people even glance sideways when a car alarm goes off these days, people are so used to false alarms and it always just looks like the owner accidently set it off, turns it off gets in and takes off, no second thoughts given by any bystanders.
    I only use an alarm on my car because it is controling my central locking, and i rather press the button than use the key to open it lol :p

11. I have a Xena disk lock with alarm - but that is to stop the grandkids playing with the bike.
    If it fell on them - I wouldn't forgive myself.

I am with Vic. If they want it, they will take it.
    Years ago, there was a holden tray ute with a small crane on the back that was going around stealing bikes in Carlton. Just lifted them up and drove away. They have weeks to get rid of the chains etc.

12. I just keep mine around the back under the house porch roof, i leave the lounge lights on so something thinks someone is in the lounge + sometimes the TV(now you have to find out where abouts my house is located :p) ... haven't got any security devices YET but I'm sure I'll need it one day :)

With a wheel lock, at least you know some random can't just come up and push it away :)