Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sections of a road/lane

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BRK, Jan 17, 2008.

1. greeting,

when riding along a road i know its safest to be in the right hand wheel track of the lane. But what about those spots on the road where the rough road has worn out and it looks smooth? it looks bloody slippery, is it? should i avoid this smooth part of the road and ride in the middle or just ignore it?

every time im turning a corner and the worn road approaches i mildly excrete.

2. Buffer space for:
    - Avoiding blind spots
    - Road quality
    - Visibility and through corners (whilst leaving room for people coming into your lane)
    - Traffic
    - RUN A SEARCH, its been covered ;)
  3. The wheel track ferthest from danger is the safest one.
    so if you have a big truck to the right, then the left can be safer, if you have parked cars left then the right is safer, if the road goes crappy in one wheel track use the other.
    Picking the safest place to be on teh road is about judgment and Roadcraft, not about hard and fast rules.
    Keep your Eyes open and your brain working, this is your begest safty tool.
  4. Something else on this.

In the wet the centre is the most dangerous as thats where all the crap is, oil and so on. There is a better chance that the rain and vehicle wheels have cleaned up the main left and right tracks. Choose the one best suited as per good info above regards left if oncoming truck and so on.

Rather than doing a full repost I have some information here on my board that may be of interest.

5. from my own experiences. I don't abide by any set of rules other than my own. everybody rides differently and have their own perceptions of what is deemed safe.

for me, I commute on a daily basis; through all kinds of traffic and road conditions. Similarly to your concerns, I find positioning on the road is critical and depends on the dynamic environmental conditions. I tend to stay furthest away from any potential danger as possible. even if i have to position myself in a blind spot or rough road. distance will give you some reaction time when their isn't any. I'd only ride close to a vehicle or within their vision if I have observed their driving behaviour for some time and ruled out risk factors.

the other safety priority is analysing traffic. it is rather easy to say, for people with experience, but quite difficult to put into practise for some. basically, you need to watch out for every single car you can see. how fast they are going, where they are going, how they change lanes, traffic flow etc. you can easily identify who the morons are and know to keep your distance; especially those coming from behind.

so in reality, there are many factors you need to look at when positioning yourself on a lane. in motorsports, surface condition is all they talk about. but on the streets, it is something else altogether.
  6. Sometimes I don't agree with that. Car drivers tend to look only in mirrors. The farther wheel track is where most of their blind spots are. I'd prefer just sort of behind the car on the nearer wheel track able to see their face in the mirrors. If I can see them, they should be able to see me. Also then, I can regularly check their eye actions on what they may/may not do next (move into my lane). But what you said about observing is most definitely true.

BTW, this guideline is MY guideline only. I'm not saying that this is the best practise but what I feel works for me.
  7. I would hazard a guess that he meant when no other traffic, what you have described there is exactly what I would do if following a vehicle.... not that I "follow" vehicles for very long :grin:
  8. indeed, i was referring to a single lane only,

cheers for the advice.