Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Secondhand Police Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Seamus, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hello forum, :)

Anyone know of a place to get used leather jackets that are still in good nick? I saw some Police jackets adverstised for sale on eBay that looked okay but I was wondering if there was shop or outlet were I could try 'em on.

Thank you. :)
  2. Why get a used one when you can get a new one for around $180.00?
  3. All you need is one of those jackets, white lid and a white beamer, and cars will give you all the room you want!
  4. The cash converters in church street parramatta sells them for $50 a hit,

Just the jacket no badges or markings but if you really want one go for a ride.
  5. I've got one and they are not actually very good riding jackets.

The wind gets up the sleaves during winter and there are no vents for summer, so they are only good for 2 seasons. Even if you get long gloves and use the liner they still get cold pretty quick.

They not water proof and I think stitching technology has come a long way since they were invented.

They came about in the early eighties to bike cops and the general duties cops were issed them in the early nineties. They might have been an alright jacket back then but not now.

I'm about to upgrade
  6. That's pretty much leather through and through, ibast. It ain't waterproof, is too hot on a 30 degree+ day, and will be too cold in winter if you think it's supposed to be a Dririder.

My general rule for leather in winter - if you can sit outside for 20 minutes in your clothing without a leather jacket, then put the jacket over the top and you should be right to ride. And if it's gunna rain, you need a cover-all suit as well. :p

I reckon for $50 an ex-coppers jacket is a reasonable deal. My jacket is 20-25 years old, so it'd probably be an upgrade. :LOL:
  7. My mate got his sons old Plod jacket and he reckons the only reason its any good is because people see the scars where the old badges used to be and give him a bit more respect on the road, but as far as warm goes, he reckons there crap. I also asked one of the instructors at Motorcycle Motion (fulltime job= motorcycle plod) and he reckons if the cop leathers were any good he wouldn't have bought his tigerangels.
  8. Given a Tiger Angel jacket is what, 20 times dearer, it'd wanna be better!

I'm still of the opinion that if you can't afford more than $50, it's a damn good buy.
  9. You could go to Cash Converters and get a decent bike jacket for a similar price.