Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Second Hand Tyre Warmers, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by athakkar22, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    Basically did my first track day a few weeks ago and had the absolute time of my life. So, already booking the second one in knowing there will be more to come, decided to put a bit of money into getting the most out of the days.
    I started looking at tyre Warmers and differences in quality and price, and some of em get bloody expensive... so I was wondering is buying second hand tyre Warmers a no go? Any issues with it? How long are tyre Warmers meant to last? Any help would be great! Cheers guys

2. Depends on the brand (like most things).

With cheaper ones the thermostat can fail and they can cook your tyre. I've got a set of el-cheapos and the front works fine but the rear get's up to about 70c then cools to about 30c, then goes back up again.. When I buy replacements, I'll make sure I get the very best.

If you're getting into track days, sticky tyres and warmers are a good idea, but most folk also find a revalve and respring knocks off a few seconds.

When I started doing track days, you just rocked up then rode home. Now it's all fugging around with warmers, stands, extension leads, slicks in the laundry etc And I'm barely ten seconds faster! :)
  3. Second hand is fine but with anything second hand, you buy at your own risk. New would be best, if you want something relatively cheap new, you can get Kaneg...there are mix reviews on these though. Pretty sure a NR member has seen many fail/burnt out.

I have Emtek tyre warmers. They were good the first 2 years and now one of the amber LED (low temp indicator) has blown and the front elastic some how twisted shorter and now I can't pull the warmer around the tyre easily...need to fix that really. Still warms up to temp which is really all you want.

As said above, it depends on brand...you get what you pay for.
  4. Yeah definitely can understand the 'you get what you pay for' idea, some start at 300 bucks a pair and others are closer to 1k each...! this is the site I was looking at for second hand pair: http://www.sportsbike.com.au/tire_warmers_exteam.html

Also heard of the Kaneg ones previously - had a look at their website. Relatively cheap, although the mix reviews has made me rethink and do a bit of research before I buy anything.

Thanks heaps guys! may email them and see what they say about them, although what I got from their website is that their tyre warmers are high end quality? Not sure...

5. Question again guys! Has anyone heard/used the SportsBike Tyre warmers?
  6. I don't have first hand experience but I haven't heard anything bad about them either. Compared mine with a Sportsbike one at a race meet and the build quality is better for Sportsbike.
  7. Hm okay. Phongus where did you get the Emtek ones from?