Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

second hand test ride etiquette

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sillygit, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Hey all,
    Just wondering what the etiquette is for test riding privately sold second hand bikes?

I currently have named rider comp. insurance and I'm very hesitant to let others ride my bike as they wouldn't be covered by my insurance. When I purchased I took along a friend (named wheel on this forum) who has been riding for many many years. I just wanted him to check it over for any obvious problems and Arik (who used to frequent this forum) was kind enough to let wheel have a quick ride of it...

2. personly ill only let experianced riders test ride bikes i sell but lots of otherpeople will let anyone intrested ride there bike as long as its cheap.

If your selling to noobs start it up let them hear it run and ride around or even take em as pillon.

At least take their phone and wallet as deposit. (some phones are worth a mint)
  3. Whenever selling bikes or cars, my standard procedure was to take their licence at a bare minimum. Some also offered their phone as well as a good gesture. Most people are reasonably considerate. Also note the rego of their car/bike that they rock up with, and anything thing else that would help track them down in the event of them doing a runner with your bike or dropping it.

More applicable to the bike, my thinking was that I wouldn't have too much trouble getting money out of them to fix any damage. Although I did have a backup short document/disclaimer for them to sign (saying in effect that they'll pay for any damage caused to the bike and won't hold me responsible for any death/injury etc) if I wasn't confident my bike was goign to make it back in the same state it left, minus petrol. The only person that took it for a strap though was a guy test riding on his noob friend's behalf, who had a hell of a lot more riding experience than me.
  4. i got it fairly sweet when i test rode mine and brought it. I went to the guy's house, checked it out as best i was instructed by a bike mech, and he offered me to take it for a ride. I was nervous as it was the first ride for me since doing my L's course (4 weeks prior).
    Got on, started up and head around the block. Had it a total of 5-10 minutes on quite side streets.

Everything checked out got back and parked it under the automatic garage door (no idea why). You can guess what happened. I went to open the seat and accidentally pushed the button as i must of knocked it or something.

Door is coming down, the owner (big strong tall feller) puts one arm up and forces the door from coming down, motor is still turning, he's saying push the button several times fast, i look at the keys and there's 500 buttons o it!! panic!! he grabs the keys and stops the motor, but not before the roller door was all messed up. Took us 20 minutes to fix the frikking door, and for a while i was worried i would HAVE to buy the bike because i buggered his door!

Got it fixed, he didn't and i went home to think about the buy. 3 days later i rode it home with a mate in tail in my car. Great fun!!
  5. One scam is to turn up in a stolen car or motorcycle.

Do not consider the vehicle the person is driving, but have a very good look that the details on the license at least match the person's appearance.

Ideally, accompany them on the test ride, but even going on another bike (or in a car) does not prevent them from doing a runner.

All the best

Trevor G

PS I always obtain their verbal assurance that they accept responsibility for any damage which occurs while thge vehicle is in their hands.

Some are reluctant to do so, so they miss out if they do decline.

It is far better to not sell your bike than to have it stolen...
  6. I'd have no problem with someone test riding my bike. Only two conditions, they bring the full asking price in cash and their licence. They leave both with me and can take it for as long as they like.
  7. Yes, and check the licence very carefully.

I was given a fake licence by a guy who bought one of my old cars - he got a few speeding fines, and it was extremely difficult to prove that I no longer owned the vehicle :evil:
  8. +1

Thats the only way i will do things. If im selling a car/bike i will start it up, TAKE THEM for a ride in/on it and if they are interested they can come back with the cash and take it for a drive while the cash is in my hands.
  9. When I get around to selling mine, assuming I don't go for trade-in, it'll be 100% deposit up front for a test ride. Anyone who rocks up without cash isn't likely a serious buyer anyway. I know when my friend bought his CBR600f he had $5000 in cash with him. The seller didn't ask for a deposit but that may have been because I stayed put and my car at the time was a brand new Cooper S :)
  10. Yes, a genuine buyer who actually wants to buy your bike will be only too
    happy to hand over a wad of cash as a deposit, because that way
    noone else can buy the bike while he's got it.

If they won't give at least $1000 cash deposit, WHY should you
    give $5000 or more of bike to them?

Also beware of people who ask your address on the phone and don't turn
    up, they may come to get the bike while you're asleep or
    convince someone at the house to let them test ride it when you are
    not there (and never come back).
  11. I leave my license & car/bike keys. I only ask to test bikes I'm seriously interested in (after giving them a good looksee).

Haven't been rejected till now.

If the Seller is unwilling to allow a test-ride, I'm game to sit Pillion while he takes charge. I need to know the bike moves, changes gears, turns, brakes etc. w/out any drama.

I reckon most Sellers play it by ear, and sight. Young prospect, inexperienced/new rider, and Seller'd be reluctant, and understandably so, to part with their keys.
  12. A friend as collateral doesn't cut it for me! I'm with the majority, full cash amount in my hand & drivers licence that appears genuine plus I'd get a signed acquistion notice for added insurance!