Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Second bike advice

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dsyfer, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I would like some advice / feedback on which bike to look at.

It will be used for commuting by me during the week and for the missus on weekends. I have put about 4,500 kms on the GSXR1000 in the last month and don't want to wear it out too quick, plus wearing out the tyres commuting seems a waste.

Requirements are:
    LAMS as the missus will need to be able to ride it
    Larger bike due to us both being around 6 foot
    Comfy due to travelling 100kms a day commute (half hills twisties, half suburban)
    Reliable
    Around the $6k mark price wise

A quick look at bikesales gives me the follwing options

GS500
    BMW F650
    XT660R
    KLR650
    DRZ400
    DR650SE

Any thoughts or comments on this list or any that I may have left off would be much appreciated.

2. GSX650F would tick all those boxes too...

3. Dr650 and a airhawk. Maybe the klr as well. The other bikes are too expensive to run or buy.

4. hahaha, I'm sorry, but just how is an air cooled twin expensive to run?

5. I said buy as well. Dr650 is only $7k new. Tyres would be cheaper on a lighter bike.

6. How much do you think a GS500 is? Tyres will be slightly cheaper but you can get cheap cheap tyres that do the job and last as well.

7. A GSX650 or GS500 would do the job, but I'm leaning towards the DR650SE after reading a few reviews.

I had a TT600 a while back, but that had a pipe, jet-kit, lower gearing and road tyres, was quite fun.

Anyone on here commute on a DR?

8. SV650S (LAMS version)

9. I had a Dr650 till last month, it was generally reliable and just cheap to run and service. It could get better fuel economy but its carbie so its a bit hard. the f650 is better in that regard but too expensive imo. The seat is ok for 150 km then it needs a airhawk but then its all day good.

its quite quick because of the lack of weight. its only 140 dry.

10. Seeing as you got the SUPER bike, trailbike is a good choice.
    and I highly recommend some offroading, coz it kicks arse, and will improve your skills HEAPS too (and great place for the mssus to start). F uck don't be one of those guys who has a trailbike and has never been off the tarmac. Don't bother if you aint going off road!

I think the 600's will be good for the road, but an absolute handfull on any real trails. 400's will be HELL hardcore for offroad, and still good onroad. 250's are the easiest to handle for hardcore offroading, but engine doesn't last too long. Any of the big 4 will be more than great.

i spent 4 years doing all riding on a klx 250, until the engine blew at 55,000km. It was EXCELLENT in tight tarmac sections (think supermoto) these bikes will surprise you in the twisties! Awesome off the road, absolute blast! Bit lacking for highway, top cruising speed 120kph (but you can do that OFF road too!). Comfy seat, easy to handle commuting, great suspension.

Great choice, and hard choice. Personally the DRZ400 for off and on road would kick arse. Mate had one, spin the wheels in gravel at 120kph. The bigger bikes are for EXPERIENCED offroaders, think dakar bikes. Even the rally bikes are now 450's and 500's. So the 600's are too big for offroad other than desert or beaches, or gravel roads, unless you are hell pro. I wouldn't recommend a 600 for the missus. The 600's are basically cruisers, they will flip over from throttle, very grunty. If you aren't interested in off roading, get a road bike!

11. Tell the girl to get her own.
    Ride some then you'll know which one is for you (bikes).

12. scratch that- just read some bad reports on DRZ400's

if you into off roading, take a look at the thumper forums everywhere, they will talk all about the good bikes.

450 for the trails is like a litre bike on the track.

13. Now that its your second bike, test riding isnt so much of a hassle. Go out and try!

14. I have owned about ten or so bikes, I am looking for a second (as in; to go with my current bike). Test riding will only tell me what it's like on the day, feedback from owners will tell me what they are like own and run.

15. Just looked at a XT660X, very comfy, very tempting.