Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seating position on your bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Irideabike, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a new rider, i think I've clocked about 300km on my Hyosung GT250R and so far I've been loving it(Ended up with the Hyosung since all the other itty bitty 250 bikes on the market looked like a clowns bike when i was on it :p as i'm 6'4").

Now the question is how are you meant to position yourself on a sports bike for long rides ? Because on rides for about an hour or so my lower back tends to tighten/get sore. I've noticed though when i really straighten up my back when riding its a lot better but i feel like a bit of a dick sitting so straight on the bike? Whats the proper position on the bike ? Slouched or Straight backed or Whatever's comfortable ??? :p I just dont know if I'm sitting wrong, or if im just a premadonna ??? :grin:

2. Sit so you are comfortable. Forget how you look!
    Tall bloke like you may want to look into handlebar risers too.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Weight should be distributed via arse, knees gripping tank, and feet on pegs - dont grip the bars tight or put much weight on them at all. Try to relax. Of course, being new to riding things are more stressful so as you get more experienced things stress and thus tire you less because your are less tense.
  4. +1 To that.

You'll also find that you get used to the riding position over time.
  5. I' not sure where my post went, but it went something like this:

You might not pull as many birds/blokes (depending on your predelictions), but you'll have the satisaction of knowing that you look really cool and you can be cool with a straight back! (and you could tell them it was a "GTRXZ Triumph"!
  6. Oohwhatanicetrumpy :grin: :grin: :grin: .
  7. youll need to do alot more than 300kms to get used to the riding position. i have to say but that the hyo is possibly the most uncomfortable bike i have ridden.
    buy some oggy knobs and use em as footpegs for that hard arse leant over cruiser look. :p

8. Sit as upright as you want as its better to be as comfortable as possible. You should only really crouch down if your really pushing yourself through corners but you can still go through upright, its totally up to you and do whatever feels the best.
  9. What I did when I started out riding is try to find the most comfortable riding position for the bike first. After you're used to it then adjust the position bit by bit to what you want.

I also argree that you need alot more than 300km to get used to alot of things. One of the hardest thing I find it hard to get used to was the restriction to my sensitive area. It took almost 2000km for me to get used to the sensation. :grin:
  10. (Ooh, nice bike)

One of the guys at my provisional/full license test had a really old early-80s Honda CB250 that looked very similar to that. I'm sure with a bit of paint and polish you could convince someone that this CB250 is a vintage race-replica. *chuckle*
  11. i find the bikes tell you where they want you. Sure you can overide this by sitting up straighter etc but things like your gear shifter will be slightly out which is easily adjustable.

I'd say yours is more of a forward position. My bandit is more forward than my GPX250 I had but I can ride it either way. I general sit up cause it frickin hurts my wrists after a little while haha. The seat is concaved and my butt is definately meant to go back further but each to their own.

There is no right or wrong way unless your racing haha.
  12. Sit upright on the bike with your feet on the pegs, and your knees/thighs comfortably gripping the tank.
    Lift your arms up straight in front of you (don't reach for the bars)...Now...tilt forward until your hands rest comfortably on the bars, and THAT is the expected riding position, as envisaged by the manufacturers.

And you will need to do 2-3000 k's before your body starts to get used to the bike. By then you will be able to judge if the riding position suits you or not.
  13. I'm 5"7 with a GT250R and on long rides of straight highway I will lift myself as far away from the bars as possible. With my bad back (disc issues) riding forward is far from healthy. So I get the left arm off the clutch and on my thigh, and my right arm holds the throttle by the fingers.

Not the best thing to be doing but it works.

I am thinking of switching to a cruiser to fix this issue completely.
  14. I've read some where a while ago a post. Similar to this one. What i got out of it was to try and take some of the strain off your lower back by tensing your abdominal muscles.

Speaking from a health professional point of view. If your after comfort any modern sport bike isn't really ideal. It just doesn't provide a natural position for your body to hold for so long.
    However well if it looks your after particularly on in the 250 class your on a winner ^^.

Doesn't matter how you sit on your bike anyways. The bike has an overriding coolness about it anyways. Although there are exceptions to this rule, depending on the bike. ^^
  15. I was 'taught' if you like, to sit up right(leaning towards front of bike, not overly leaning though), wrists bent, and legs in against the bike (as I use to have my legs in a relaxed position where they were out a fair bit lol)

but i did get use to that position .. and its not bad, but its' up to the individual rider of which is best seating position.. well that what I think.. ;)
  16. Hey buddy.

May I suggest a few things.

Everyone has given good tips on how to sit on the bike, of course the common position is butt up front, knees gripping the tank.

But you should also think about a few other things, like helping prevent back strains.

Most back stains are due to three things, poor posture (sitting on the bike which you can adjust and find what works for you) but the other two are tight back muscles and/or a week core (tummy muscles)

So try doing some back stretches and some tummy work.

Also organize with your ride group to stop every so often or if you are sore to let them know and have a rest cause it will only get worse so act upon it, it will effect your riding.

PS: if you want some stretches/ tummy exercises, pm and ill forward you some.
  17. Hey all,

Nice bit of advice, i also have on/off back issues so it is starting to make me wonder about the type of bike to pick up.

I've been looking at a Bandit 250, a few CB250s and eveny a FZR250 (which has since been completly dismissed)

Whats the go on the Bandit, looks/feels slightly sporty but a bit up right any thoughts?

18. I know what you mean. 3 months a go i went from a sv650s to a gsxr750 and the first week was not very enjoyable.

Grip the tank with your knees (a good firm grip). If it hurts for the first couple of weeks thats ok - you do not want to be stiffarming the bars. Every now and then flap your arms around - if your upper body leans forward your not gripping tight enough. Having the balls of your feet on the pegs will actually help too. I do stretches and move around all the time while riding

I would say that an hour at a time is the absolute max on a sportsbike anyway. whats the point of riding til it hurts? You'll just end up associating riding with pain. Hurts enough when we fall off let alone when we're riding them :LOL:

After 3 months on the gixxer it is waaaaay more comfortable than the sv and ride more relaxed too
  19. The Bandit's pretty good. Big, high bars, with just a little lean forward to reach them. I've only had an ache in my right shoulder, but that's because I've got suss shoulders rather than an uncomfortable bike.
  20. Thanks for that 2ndclass, I'll definatly be giving is another look over.