Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seating height

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by GsXr600, Mar 28, 2006.

1. I have just purchased a 2004 suzuki gsxr600, the deliema i have is that when i get on i have to be on tippy toes as i am not the tallest of people however i can stand and hold the bike no problem.

I was wondering if there is a way to make the seat height lower as to be able to put both feet on the ground without being on tippy toes.

2. I am no expert in this area, but you might have to:

1. get riding boots that make you taller (I've been told that there are such boots apparently)

2. change bike settings (even replace tail riser)
  3. I'll swap bikes. I'm sure youll fit the GPX ;)
  4. You can get the seat retrimmed (cut) lower but it will be less comfortable.
    You could also get the dog bones changed to lower the height of the bike, but that will definitely have an effect on the handling characteristics. Other than that, have you tried lowering the preload as far as it'll go?
  5. mate im in the same boat
    and if its about parking the bike and then moving it later on i have found the solution...
    look for the right parking spot first before parking the bike
    thats what i do all the time and then its easy to move back out....

where abouts are u mate?

6. where abouts can i lower the preload of the bike.

im in Sydney
  7. /// The serious answer is further down ///

Australian Road Rules limit the places you can lower your pre-load. It is an offence to lower it whilst turning from a single-carriage road into a multi-lane carraigeway unless the multi-lane carriageway is marked with an "OD" (over dimension) sign. It is also illegal to lower it whilst in a roundabout or on a painted traffic island. It is not technically illegal (although there are plans to amend the road rules to cover this) to alter it whilst on a motorway, but you run the risk of being charged with a number of other offences.

The exceptions are that you may lower your preload at any time if you are on a vehicle fitted with:

• an electric insulated food compartment, OR
    • an ashtray, OR
    • a sign (no less than 1m x 0.5m, fuschia lettering on a violet background) clearly inscribed with the words "CAUTION - VEHICLE FREQUENTLY ADJUSTING PRELOAD", OR
    • if you are seated in the reverse position such that making the adjustment does not required your arm to transect the
      line formed by the riders kneecap and the rear axle.
    Sorry - you adjust the preload simply by altering a setting on the rear shock. The "how to adjust" bit is easy. The "getting the right setting" bit is trickier. There are a number of threads on here already about this, or a comprehensive description on how to set it up here:

HOWEVER using preload adjustment to compensate for short legs is, at best, a compromise because the value that allows you to reach the ground when you're on the bike may be the wrong value for optimal roadholding. Preload is primarily an adjustment to set the suspension at the optimal position for your weight, not your height.

The main thing is to carefully note the initial setting so that you can put it back if things go awry.