Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seat Upholstery/Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by voyager, Oct 13, 2004.

1. OK, this has now become priority #1 for me - basically its gotten to a stage now where its becoming an injury risk for me to just get on the bike - its playing havoc with my back!

For those who haven't heard me complain about it - I have an XV250, and the comfortable seating position for me is to sit RIGHT on the back of the seat - any further and I'd be on the pillion seat! This is comfortable for distance from the pegs, etc, but no so good for the back as I'm sitting on a lip - every jar goes straight up my spine.

ANYWAY, I want to do something about it - replacing the seat is probably the preferred option, so long as its WAAAY back (some framework probably required for this) OR get the seat re-upholstered - cut the moulding out so its flat, jack up the cushioning and I should be right. I hope. I don't mind paying a fair price for the work to be done properly.

Does anyone know of a place/person that can do this ? For health reasons it NEEDS to be in the west (werribee way or surrounds) - I can't take the bike any great distance without suffering back problems, although I can take the seat part anywhere.

Some help would be GREATLY appreciated. If I don't resolve this issue fairly soon, I don't know if I will be able to continue to ride. I'm cursing the bike laws which prevent learners from riding something larger - I wouldn't have this problem on a larger wheel base.

2. Gday mate .......... l left the info in your inbox. sorry once again on delay

Cheers and safe riding

ST SPRINT 8)
  3. OK, well, to follow this up:

I took the bike down to see David, who is an upholsterer by trade and bike enthusiast (hopefully he'll join us on these forums shortly - he's a great bloke). He rebuilt the padding on the seat, recovered it, etc, and I had a chance to test-ride it yesterday.

MUCH better now. Whilst still a long way from being a couch on wheels, its a VAST improvement over the stock seat. Plus the job is top-notch - its impossible to determine that its not the stock item.

So I'm much more comfortable, and I can heartily recommend David for any other bike-related upholstery work!