Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seat Re-Upholstery/ Purchasing Vinyl

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by CallumH, Jan 7, 2015.

1. G'day Everyone,

Few months ago a small tear appeared in the seat of my VTR250 about as long as a 10c piece (Photo attached)

I looked into vinyl welding and repairs from places which were within reasonable distance with the cheapest quote being $60. I got a quote of roughly $150 for a full re-cover however felt this was a bit much to spend for such a small tear and decided that a bit of Gaff tape would do for the time being.

I just wanted to ask if anyone on here knew of any places in Brisbane that would do the vinyl weld any cheaper? OR if it would be more cost effective to re-cover it myself? What vinyl would be suitable and where to purchase?

2. A marine or automotive trimmer is a good place to buy vinyl.
  3. can you stretch flat vinyl enough for the seat contours?
  4. I used marine vinyl from Clark Rubber. Worked fine re-covering my Across' seat. There's plenty of Youtube help to follow.
  5. I looked at vinyl on ebay when I was considering redoing my seat(eventually deciding its fine for now), lots of interesting colours and patterns available if you want something a bit different.
  6. Vinyl is pretty cheap at spotlight
  7. It's tempting to fix just the bit that's torn e.g. vinyl patch or duct tape, but its just the beginning of a patchwork seat - once the vinyl goes its time to get the seat recovered. The longer you wait the greater the risk of damaging the sponge itself, then you'll be up for new sponge and vinyl.
  8. I re-vinyled my seat a few months ago. Picked up some vinyl from clark rubber and a a staple gun from bunnings.

It took a few hours of mucking about to get the correct stretch over the step on my seat. But well worth it.
  9. Thanks everyone,

I'll check out Clark Rubber and try some other places to see what I can find.