Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sealed battery bargain!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Was in Stoopid Cheap this morning, and looked at batteries on a whim (the GTR has been getting very slow to crank, I stalled it yesterday after 30 mins running and it wouldn't crank over).
    Anyway, looked in teh catalogue, found the part number I needed, they didnt have it. Spied a few Century sealed batteries looking lonely on the shelf. Cold cranking amps and amp hours were teh same as the stock battery. Found a shop assistant and asked if they had a catalogue for the Century sealed batteries, and was rewarded with the minimum wage I don't give a fcuk look and attitude :roll: , so went and got one of their tape measures out of stock, and compared it to the book measurements for the stock replacement battery. Was only a few mm taller than stock and a little narrower, so thought I'd give it a go.
    Anyway, I am now teh proud owner of a sealed battery that cranks the GTR over like a top, and it cost just on $80! :cool: No more 25 minute ritual every 3 months checking acid levels!!! And yes, the stock lead acid battery would have slightly exxposed plates after 3 months.
    Only issue with these batteries is teh terminals are vertical steel plates sticking up out of teh battery case, so if your battery is a very tight fit or your battery cables are very tight and can't be stretched and bent a bit, it may not work for you!

Regards, Andrew.

2. Very timely Andrew, thanks. The battery in my little 110cc Chinese quad died this morning as it was apparently made of an old biscuit tin filled with bats piss. The Quad has a CT110 motor (without the Honda on the side), and a battery to suit. The whole damn quad cost me $650 brand new on eBay and Honda want $115 for a battery. Super Cheat here I come... :grin:

3. They had a few different size sealed batteries in there, some very small ones too, so hopefully you'll find something appropriate.

Regards, Andrew.