Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Seafoam

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by momo, Apr 7, 2008.

1. There seem to be a few very knowledgeable people here. With that in mind, Seafoam: snake oil, likely to have the same effect in old engines as changing to a higher-detergent oil, otherwise harmful, or a useful product?

2. :eek:hno:
    Dunno about the rest of you guys .. BUT I HATE snakes

3. D:

RACIST!

4. Certainly wouldn't hurt the engine but only you will be the judge whether the stuff works as advertised.

5. Apart from the new VT, I have an old '78 International Scout 4X4. The guys on the US International bulletin board swear by seafoam. Can you tell me where it's obtainable in Oz? Not for the bike: for the Binder.

6.  Top
  7. Yep, just chuck in some petrol and some rubbing alcohol in the sump and you'd achieve the same effect - though can't see why you'd want to. It'll thin the oil and remove buildup in the engine, but will also drastically reduce lubrication efficiency and potentially destroy seals and gaskets. As for adding it to the tank - it's not going to do anything that a decent quality fuel wouldn't do anyway (except for the vast amounts of smoke it'll produce burning off all the unnecessary oil).
    I think their "100% pure petroleum" claim says a lot about the company - that's a pretty tenous link at best to be making with something containing isopropyl alcohol.