Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scum damaged visor repair

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by G2teg, Jun 1, 2008.

1. At a recent biking event, I noticed that my visor was at the point where I literally could not see anything. I decided to clean it, but for those of you who don't know how, I decided to do a thorough clean with Meguiar's Scratch X. The product is available at Autobarn, last time I checked anyway.
    The process is quite simple but does take a bit of patience.

This picture shows the scum that was built up on the visor. I had already cleaned a section in the middle of the visor, but this shows the scum a bit better I think.
    aV1Z2lWr.

The product. Meguiar's Scratch X and a microfibre cloth. I prefer to use the microfibre over a standard cloth because it is softer and produces a better result.
    aV1Z2PS9.

Applying the Scratch X. As you may see, it should be applied in a circular motion. Keep rubbing the product into the visor, until it is almost clear, then wipe it away with a clean cloth.

The finished product. Alot better than when I started, and I can actually see again. It still has a few marks on it but I didn't want to go further (lazy)

aV1Z3li0.

Meguiar's Scratch X is supposed to be for the removal of slight swirl marks, but I find it works quite well if you keep applying it. If there are deeper scratches, or marks that don't want to come out, then it would be more advisable to buy a new visor.
    And NO, I don't work for Meguiar's.

2. Hmm not bad,
    but could do us a favor and reduce the image size? Or better yet use the 'add image to post button',If yah can do that for me i'll let you keep the 4 pic's :wink:

3. i just use Mr Sheen =]

4. +1

5. Lately I've been using snot on my visor - one sneeze and the built up scum doesn't seem like such an issue anymore.

6. Good Post !!!
    Might try it on my wife's visor .. Thanks! :)

7. I know that some people use Mr Sheen ... but the scum that was on my visor wouldn't come off with a normal spray and wipe.
    This product and technique works on all plastics and paints, and helps remove dis-coloration and swirls/scratch marks.
    It's not the be-all-end-all, but may help some people out.

8. I saw the vizor before hand and it definitely looked like more than scum on it. It's really come up well and I suspect much better than it would with just a polish.

Definitely going to try some on my screen. I know it won't get rid of the deeper scratches but if it can get rid of the cloudy look I will be pretty happy.