Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scuba diving

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Deadsy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Any scuba divers out there? Are you certified? I recently did an introductory dive and am looking into doing a beginner's course. Any recommendations?

2. Yeah, don't.

Scuba diving just requires too much faffing about for a relatively small amount of "enjoy" time.

Motorbike riding, reading, and, of course, that old standby, drinking are so much more .... immediate.

3. Scuba diving is awesome, I have seen things underwater I will never forget. Go for it, u will love it

4. Yup, did my course about 20 years ago. Every time I go somewhere which has interesting water I dive. I don't know where you live but almost every major town has a dive instruction course. Once you get your PADI certificate you can use it anywhere in the world.
    The best part is if you travel overseas you don't have to hang with the newbs you can explore the awesomeness of the deep.

5. I learned years ago in England with the BSAC. It's an alternative to PADI or SSI and there are a couple of branches around Oz. Personally I think it's a better system as there is club support available that you don't always get with shops. Any system will get you well trained, so it's really up to you what sort of framework you want to dive within. Where are you based?

6. I picked up certs for half a dozen different PADI courses 20 years ago - a mate was an instructor so I got most of them cheaply. Loved it but don't get the time these days with family commitments - you're really looking at most of a full day to get the best value out of getting yourself sorted. Last dive was probably 3 years ago but a mate and I keep saying we should go out again.

It can be an expensive sport. Often you can pick up good second hand gear where someone has got all enthusiastic and buys the lot, then the excitement wears off. Probably worthwhile hiring gear for a bit until you are sure you want to make the investment.

Finding a good local dive club or a couple of reliable buddies is important to maintaining your momentum. Dive clubs that are active will often have interesting trips organised to get away for a weekend or longer. They will also have regular local shore dives (cheapest option) or boat dives.

7. I'm in Sydney. Locally there seems to be:

http://www.abyss.com.au/
    http://www.prodivesydney.com/divecenter/store/sydney

I'm going to look into it, but can you explain the differences between PADI, SSI and BSAC etc?

I got to dive with Grey Nurse Sharks in the oceanarium at Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Being in such an alien environment, with 300+kg gentle giants gliding past me is one of the most memorable things I've done and I'd definitely like to explore scuba diving further. I like to say "I was completely calm" but it's bs, the video footage shows how rapidly I was breathing. :)

8. hehe, the breathing thing comes with practice, my wife runs out of air way before I do, she is very excitable. Different organisations have different names but as long as it's an open water dive certificate that's all you need to get started.
    The basic course is pretty simple, get familiar with the gear, learn to clear your ears, work out your underwater time limits etc, etc.
    I would certainly recommend using hired gear until you decide to get more into it.
    Now do you want an argument or not ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Something I am looking in to doing! I am off to Thailand in December and am very keen to try some over there! If not, a quick google showed me there's quite a few different courses available locally!

10. It's not just about getting your Open Water ticket, it's about learning enough and well enough that you are not a danger to yourself or others whilst underwater. It's pretty easy when all's going well at a manageable depth, but it's reassuring to know that you can manage your dives.
    If you get your ticket in Sydney or Melbourne with our sub tropical water, you will be well placed to be a competent diver most anywhere- especially in the tropics.
    If diving in Thailand, Bali or any other holiday destination, do not expect that your guides will look out for you as well as they would in Aus.

Get into it, you'll love it.

11. I had a ball when I did it. It's a fit person's sport tho - which I'm not. Last time I did it I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.

Now I ride instead. Less faffing around and less ongoing cost (although more expensive startup!).

12. Hehehe, yeah I fond it a lot easier after giving up the fags.

13. simplistically, PADI and SSI are commercial organisations, and BSAC is an amateur club.

you'll access PADI and SSI training through shops. the may or may not have some sort of club or support structure associated with the shop, but any diving you do will be a commercial transaction.

BSAC is an amateur club organisation. They are backed by a professional HQ team in England and still have the full levels of insurance etc, but the training and the diving is run by the clubs themselves. IMO it's a much better system for learning as you have much more of a buddy support system. It often does take longer to qualify but again I personally think that can be better as you get mor opportunity to ingrain your responses. It's probably cheaper in the long run too but there are trade offs when you compare commercial versus volunterr organisations.

There is at least one BSAC branch in Sydney but you can search for more if you are interested
    https://www.bsac.com/
    http://www.sydneysubaquaclub.com/

at the end of the day all the training by all of the organisations is to a recognised standard and all the cert cards are recognised internationally, so it doesn't really matter which you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes I dive a lot, it's awesome. Regarding other comments about the cost, yes costs a lot for the gear (I figured out that when I go cave diving I am wearing $8000 of equipment :() but once you get all your gear it's not too bad. You can dive anywhere pretty much so each time I travel I try to dive locally.

I am the diving officer of a BSAC club in Melbourne. I am not sure how the BSAC club is in Sydney (www.sydneysubaquaclub.com) is with instructors but we don't have many in Melbourne so it can take a while to certify with us so we usually recommend people get their OW with PADI or SSI and then join our club to do further training. The training is a lot more involved and a lot cheaper with BSAC plus it's not a commercial club. Shop clubs often put huge pressure on you to buy all your stuff from them and it's incredibly expensive to buy locally. I'd recommend buying your gear online if you want your own gear.

Sydney has some nice diving though I have only ever done shore dives up there so not sure what the boat dives are like. There's Bare Island, Shelley Beach, etc. This guy has TONNES of Sydney specific info: www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info

15.  Top
  16. Hardly anyone posts there any more. I know I have pretty much just switched over to the FB group I set up for the club as since it's become popular we have posts every day and a lot more going on. I did meet my partner on Dive Oz though haha :)

17. Although I haven't dived in years, I have over 300 hours logged. I did open, advanced, and rescue diver certification through NAUI. Diving in Darwin is interesting. Average viz is about 1-1.5m on a good day. Even neap tides average .5 to 1.5m movement. The average harbour dive is around 25 m

For fun, a group of us use to run 60m of rope out from the dive boat, at night, on the edge of the shipping Chanel (around 25-35m) then drift dive the change of tide. Essentially being skull dragged over the bottom at around 25kph in the dark at depth. That compares well to motorcycles for a relaxing rush.

18. Ive got my rescue diver cert with padi. Ive done most my diving in Thailand, mostly Koh Tao which is considered by some to be the mcdonalds of diving certs. Cant recommend it enough. Once youve had a vew dives and are comfortable in the water, have your bouyancy control and breathing sorted, you'll stary seeing more and more awesome things down there and youll almost forget your underwater.

19. This is how you have to do any dives outside slack water inside the bay in Melbourne, which can be either good or bad depending on the day :p. Most deco you have to do drifting actually as slack is often only 30mins, that part sucks but it's fun otherwise plus I never have to bother about swimming back to the boat. :)

20. I used to have trouble finding dive partners (story of my life), so sometimes used to do shallow dives on my own. One of the best was under Portsea pier during baby fish season. Remember seeing a tiny tiny leatherjacket trying to hide in a ball of free drifting seaweed the size of a golf ball. There were stacks of baby fish to see, including, I swear, a blue horned devil juvenile hiding in a hole in the timber of the pier. No one believed me at the time..I wish I'd had a camera.