Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scrubbing tyres.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Emmett, Aug 22, 2005.

1. So i've been out riding a bit as a newbie and my confidence is starting to grow, i'm feeling more comfortable hanging off the bike a little more and generally feeling my body is a lot more "fluid" through the turns.

The "chicken strips" on the rear tyre of my bike are roughly 1cm (Dunlop arrowmaxes). Although still large they are decreasing. They appear to be very, very glossy on the front and the rear.

I have felt the front end end start to drift a little (feels like i'm about to lowside) and it has really unnerved me. It has happened 2 times in the last 2 days on dry roads with no wind. I am no where touching the ground, so I really think something is fundamentally wrong. The bike is in perfect order (major service completed profesionally 5 days ago) Is this rider error, glossy tyres, poor tyres etc casuing this problem ? :?

Do people actually scrub there tyres to take this glossyness off? Please post details, suggestions etc.

Cheers Emmett.
  2. take it easy, don't be in a rush, it sound like you are doing a me, trying to jump into rossi's boot. If you take your time and work on making it smooth you'll have a lot more fun and wont have to worry about "chicken strips" I didn't realise this till the other week after following a few experienced riders who said before a ride "we're not pushing speed were pushing for perfection.". It was a ball, dont worry about your lean just worry about keeping it smooth. HAVE FUN.
  3. Thanks for the advice SOBIL.

I'm not going quick and I'm not getting low, that's why I am concerned about the front end feeling like it's drifting. My real concern is if for some reason I HAVE to go lower (ie mid-corner danger) I don't want to come unstuck.

I only measured the chicken strips to add more info so I get as accuarate as possible responses. I'm no boy racer....
    Cheers Emmett
  4. Emmet if you've been riding for more than two days your tyres should be "scrubbed in" by now. On the other hand if the weather has been cold and or rainy, and your riding has been mostly or all round town, the tyres may still have not lost their "green". That seems to be what you are desribing. If you can go for a 50 or 60 kays ride in the country, perhaps up the Yarra Valley (another new rider who doesn't tell us where he's FROM!!!) or the like, don't try and be a hero in the corners, as sobil advises, but get the tyres nice and warm, they should be "stickier" by the time you get back.
  5. You could also check the pressure of the front tyre; if it's too high the tyre may not be gripping enough.....
  6. go slower, if your getting this feeling then it aint good. Arrowmax's from my understanding are a pretty hard compound and will take a good half an hour of riding to warm up so remember not to push it cold.
  7. Thanks for your reply Hornet,

The tyres have a lot of KM's under them done by the ex owner of the bike. The only glossy part are the edges as described previously. The glossy edges were much larger until I went for a quiet ride around Mt Nebo, Brisbane (nice turns, reasonable road surface 60km in distance). I must agree with you that the tyres felt absolutley fine doing that. By no means am I trying to be a hero through the corners, i'm just genuinely concerned that if I do need to get a little lower i'm going to lowside.
  8. There are a few reasons why the front might feel like it's drifting, and scrubbing the front tyre won't help any of them, unless it is a brand new tyre.

Tyres have a limited shelf-life. as they age, they harden and lose grip. How old is the tyre? does it have a lot of little cracks? It might be due for replacement.

How is the tyre pressure? I don't know what is recommended for the Spada, but under (or over) inflation can adversely affect handling.

Some bikes are very sensitive to suspension setup. Is the front adjustable?

How is the suspension. Have the forks got enough of the right oil? Are the rear shocks shot?
  9. If half an hour is the time it takes for the tyres to warm up we no longer need to continue this thread. Both times this has happened I have been on the bike less than ten minutes in moderate traffic. It would appear that i'm not giving them sufficient time to warm up and I guess I am therefore pushing a little too hard. When I rode through the Nebo twisties I rode for about 40 mins before begining on the few occasions been out that way.....When I think back the tyres have always felt better after being on board for while. Thanks for the advice.
  10. Get new treads....
    Aim for a softer compound.
  11. You may also find the tyre profile will limit how close you can get to those edges, and how much you can lean. I run Arrowmax tyres on my GPX, but both front and back are different profile to OEM (couldn't get the originals). This means that although I can lean it over quite a bit, I'm nowhere near the edge of the tyres, and can't get to it without removing pegs. :p

Just a thought.
  12. I can get hold of an angle grinder if your interested.
  13. :LOL: :LOL:
  14. Are you sure it's about to let go?

When I first started riding I could have sworn blind my bike was doing the same...

Cranking the suspension up near its stiffest quickly made things better for me, plus a new set of Dunlop GPR70's made ALL the difference,

Good luck