Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scrubbing in new tyres

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Justin Stacks, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Had to get new tyres. Went with the Pirelli Rosso II.

I've put on just over 100km's on the new tyres, and tried to weave as much as possible on single lane roads when no one is around. Also, did about 30km's at a time. However, considering I'm just coming off my L's, I'm still not fully tipping my bike and have chicken strips.

What is the best way a learner can go about scrubbing their new tyres in?

Also, since I haven't been able to get on the inside and outside of the tyres, when I do start tipping more, will that part of the tyre still be slippery?
  2. Chux kitchen scrubs, it's what the pro's use.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tyres are not 'slippery' when brand new and there is no need to 'scrub them in'. Maybe 40 years ago but not now. Just use them normally.

Weaving down the street? Please no.
  4. I beg to differ. Any tyre fitting will come with the advice 'take it easy, they will be slippery for the first few 100 kilometres". I was regaled with a story of the chap who ignored the advice leaving the dealer and came off outside the shop; and nearly followed suit on my new tyres as the traction control hauled me back into line!!

Generally the 'shiny' bit of the tread will wear off fairly quickly but I tend to be less aggressive for up to 200km depending on the weather and road surface. The last thing you need is to lay it over onto unscrubbed rubber on a damp corner and find the grip isn't there.
    • Like Like x 1

5. Yeah, I read the article that mentioned this, but I'm not going to risk it considering the tyre guy specifically told me that I have to scrub the tyres in, do not tip the bike like you usually do until the tyres are scrubbed in, told me to take it easy for at least 80km's, and put a caution sticker on my bike about the new tyres. Also, he mentioned you can't just do like 10 to 20 km rides to scrub them in. He basically said to do a good 50km and get the tyres really warmed up.

I trust the guy considering he has over 20 years of experience in the tyre business. There's no benefit to him if I do or don't scrub the tyres in. He's just looking out for our safety.
  6. Read this http://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0810_how_to_warm_up_new_tires/

Shops will always tell you to take it easy. That's partly because 'they have always said that', partly because it's an arse covering exercise and partly because the tyre profile will be different (even if you replaced with the same tyre, due to the old one being worn) so the bike will feel different.

At the end of the day - in order to 'scrub' your tyres in you are going to have to lean sufficiently to get the side of the tyre in contact with the road. So what's the difference?

By all means take it easy but just ride it - screw riding around in circles in a car park.
  7. I just take my bike to some twisties and ride, gradually increasing the lean angle. By the end of the day all scrubbed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think this is how you scrub them in >>>
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I started to do this to scrub the tires in

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Really? That's how I scrub in a new helmet.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If you need to "not tip in it till they're scrubbed" then how does anyone scrub a tyre in?

I know a few people who have binned it on new tyres, I find it kind of hilarious because in all cases they were deliberately being dick heads leaving the shop (infact in all cases they worked at the shops and were showing off). That's just putting on too much bravado.

I reckon I've scrubbed in atleast 30 sets of tyres (or atleast one tyre is new etc) and never had a problem beyond locking up the rear once deliberately trying to test it. I've tried to nail the throttle to do a burnout on the "super slippery new tyres" 1km after leaving the shop (don't wanna make a fool of myself like my mates did) but it always lifts the wheel.

Just ride like your in the rain for the first few kilometers then forget about it. If you ride like a ham fisted idiot then you're going to hit the pavement sooner or later anyway.

Some people ride (and drive) like such shit that they're on the limit of grip riding sedately in perfect conditions. Those people go down real fast if one variable is slightly against them. All the paranoia in the world don't make up for bad form.

Just use common sense and you'll be totally fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. This is basically what I've always been told. Some tyres take longer than others. My PR3 felt good after about 50km. Whereas the Meztler M1 I used years ago seemed to take for ever. Which is probably more a reflection of my riding ability than the tyre.
  13. Apply Brake cleaner, wipe clean and give it 1/2-1 lap and then go hard! :)
  14. How long is the lap on your track?
  15. Half of Wakey.

In fact that goes for brake pads too (less the brake cleaner).
  16. I assume you mean Wakefield park?

I'd have my tyres scrubbed in well before I got to my nearest race track.

17. Write to tyre manufactures and ask if they use a release agent on tyres any more ???
    Last I knew it was only Michelin, altho they wont state it.
    Yup they are shiny from being unused and have been in the open air for months before buying.
    Why not leave the chook strips there and have a gauge for your progression in riding.
    I can chuck in half a dozen figure eights and have no chooken strips at all at either end.
    I am counterbalancing the crap out of a sports bike to do it, and scraping the crap out of a cruiser. Does that make me a better rider, or will it give me more grip when I need it..... Um no I thunk not.......... not unless I am going to hit the road hard strait after.
    Getting your tyre up to temp before punishing it is what you should be more concerned about at your stage of learning. Being able to get around that corner without having to lean so much becomes paramount when your skill levels exceed the road speeds.
    At full lean it's hard to change your cornering radius, very hard and quite tricky.

When will you start leaning more. When you need to grasshopper.
    When your brain can process what it has to and still has room for more.
    When you can tip into a corner with enough speed to need the lean angle
    And when you can hold that speed through the corner.
    Hope that helps. I'm not being facetious, it's just a fact...if you take away all urban legend and bullshit
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Funny thing happened at work yesterday with my supervisor...

I arrived for work and he happened to see me parking the bike and came over. Now this guy recently bought a naked Ducati and I think he wanted to show his bike prowess/knowledge (lack of) disguised as friendly banter. He noted that my chain was a bit dry (true) BUT he said my rear tyre was due for replacement (WTF?) The tyre (Rosso II) is a couple of months old and scrubbed in nicely (as is the front) with no chicken strips to speak of. I questioned why he thought it was worn out and he pointed to the edge of the tyre and said, "Look, the edge is rough - you must spin that tyre up a lot". I smiled and proceeded to explain that they were sports tyres, that they are supposed to look like that and pointed to the wear indicators to show how much rubber still remained.
  19. This is what I do and have found it useful although I seem kind of stuck, but heyho, I'll move on when my skills improve.
  20. Wakefield park, Wackyfield, Wakey....yep....

On race/track bikes, obviously can't scrub on road it can only happen at the track.
    Aside from which if you have 3 sets of rubber for a weekend's racing......not much choice.

To get serious since I assume the OP doesn't see the track, it will take longer due to not being able to get stuck in on the road. At the track, half a lap-1lap is plenty but on the road heck, I would apply said brake cleaner (or anything that evaporates without residue) concentrate on a 'lap' of somewhere that allows a good left/right combo series of corners and MAYBE do like 50kms....

Some shops used to recommend a tank o'juice and for the average rider/commuting style this is probably fair. Even if you are a commuter I'd still go for a 'joy' ride and scrub em in quickly VS playing dodgem's with traffic + new tyres.....