Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scratched touring screen.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by munecito, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Hello.

The other night riding home through Wakehurst Pkwy a bloody good sized tree branch fell from a tree and hit the touring bar on the top corner leaving a big and deep scratch in it.

I wasn´t very happy at all but I was at least glad it didn't hit me directly or made me fall of the bike.

Anyway. I paid $150 for the screen and I wasn't going to throw it away without trying to repair it or in the worst case scenario cut the top and make it a bit smaller.

So I found this information on the net about fixing perspex and I thought of giving it a go.

All you need is wet and dry sand paper in 600, 800 and 1200 grit, brasso, silvo and a bit of patience.

The scratches were quite deep, you could feel the grooves with the nail. So I started with the 600 grit sand paper, water and went buffering down until I couldn't feel the groves anymore. At this moment it gets scary because the perspex looks all cloudy and like it will never be translucent again. Then I hit it with the 800 for just a moment and then went 1200.

After washing it and drying it it looked very bad, full of little scratches all around the place but more clear already. So then is when the brasso enters into the equation and to end up beautifully the silvo.

So it went form this:

To this:

In 15 minutes. Very happy with the results and I save my money for braided brake lines.

PS: Note that the scatches were so deep that you can still see the tail under the flash but it doesn't show up that much in real life.
  2. yep u can also do it with headlights exhust ect
  3. Yeah. Polishing the scratches out of perspex is as near to magic as makes no difference :grin: .
  4. I probably would have went to 1500 then 2000 grit aswell.