Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scratched Clearcoat

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ep121, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ok ok... So I was a bit enthusiastic getting that goddamned glue off the tank after I peeled off the warning stickers and now I've got a patch of matt-black paint on the Hyo.

Does anyone know if this is a DIY job and if so where i can get some clearcoat (is that actually clear as the name states or is it a coat of a specific colour that dries clear???)
    OR, where I can take the bike in Melbourne (Im in Prahran) to get the patch on the tank resprayed by a prof.?
  2. ya dont need to clear coat it, unless u ripped of all the layers of clear coat.
    Just go get some 1500/2000 grit sandpaper sand it. Then some rubbing/cutting compound then some polish/glaze/wax/MR sheen
  3. we could give it going over if you like....very simple job...we are in tullamarine
  4. Have tried waxing and buffing several times, but it still leaves a matt finish as opposed to the rest of the tank, which is gloss (clearcoat).

Is it possible to respray a patch or does the entire tank have to get done? (if that's the case, I might as well get the Hyosung letters removed)
  5. i would use a machine on it....it will fix it
  6. yeah its barely possible to rub of by hand (i never do it by hand as i can never achive the lvl of shine i want).

U gota use the rite polishing pad with the right cutting compund and work your way through the grades.

I suck at doing touch up's as it usaly leaves a halo. It easier to just fix the mistake and clear coat the hole piece again.

My adive if u cant manage take it to a detailing place, that knows how to do scratch removals and they will know how to cut and polish it properly for u. Otherwise find a car enthusiast.

also make sure u got all the glue of with some degrease/metho/kero/petrol/degreaser
  7. I think the clear coat on them is done over the top of decals ?? If not there is obviously the fellow above here who you could PM.. Or i am fairly sure that it will clean up with the correct products.. Hmmm Meguiars.. :grin: