Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

scraping noise on VTR 250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by aldasilva0, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Hi, I've searched through the forums and various people have been talking about scraping/grinding noises coming from their bikes and there have been plenty of suggestions of what it might be, but no definite responses from the original poster as to what the issue actually was.

Anyway, I'm experiencing a very similar problem to these people whereby when I come off the accelerator and the bike is slowing down, I hear a scraping noise as if though something is rubbing up against something else. However, when I pull the clutch in, the noise goes away. I don't hear it under acceleration, but it was point out in one of the threads that I found that it is probably still there just that the engine noise is louder when accelerating.

Does anyone know definitively what the problem is? My bike is going in for a service in a couple of weeks and I'd like to know what I'm talking about when I explain this problem to the mechanic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. i don't know if this applies to motorbikes, but that similar problem in cars is usually the throwout bearing in the clutch. The bearing wears, and when the clutch is pushed in, the noise goes away because its under pressure, but when its freely spinning (low engine load, or in neutral) it makes a scratchy grindy noise. Tell him exactly what you told us and he should be able to fix it.

3. second that - this is what happened in my skyline to the detail. Could be similar for bikes.

4. Some model Hondas DO have a noisy clutch throwout bearing. Mine, for example.

It's nothing to worry about; bikes make all sorts of noises, and so do cars, but cars dampen them out with insulation and stuff.....

5. Either thrust bearing, or the chain is very slack, and on the over run, it rubs on the swingarm

6. Thanks for all the replies. It has put my mind to rest a little.

However, I think that TWEET may have the answer with the loose chain. After making the post I noticed that the chain was in fact extremely loose. I've since adjusted it but haven't taken the bike out for a ride so don't know if that fixed the problem. I'll be sure to post back here and let everyone know the outcome.

Just in case it is the thrust bearing that has been suggested, any idea how much it would could to get the mechanic to change something like that?

7. OK. I can definitely confirm that the issue was a VERY loose chain scraping on the side arm. I rode the bike to work today after having adjusted the chain tension as per the manual and the bike is a dream to ride again. No Noises

It is amazing how much of a difference a properly adjusted chain makes. Even under acceleration and gear changes, the bike is really smooth now. Thanks so much to everyone for your advice.

Only down side is I will need a new chain as the indicator is well in to the "red" zone :cry: