Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

scraping boots........me or the bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by SilentBob, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I had a few issuse on a ride today and was wondering if it was anything in my technique or just my bike setup etc so here ya go.........I ride a new CB400.....whis is a naked sort of entry level sports tourer(not sure of the exact classification???) But its got a very upright seating position with low footpegs.......which is very comfortable..... but i was goin for a run up and back to wisemans and on some of the tighter corners i noticed that if i left my feet sitting on the footpegs in the normal position for braking/changing gear i was actually scraping the outside of my boot on the road.......admittadly i was goin pretty hot into the corners(ive been up and down there afew times so know it pretty well) but i just felt it was happening suprisingly easy. So i started lifting my feet up on the pegs(still on......just bassically toes on the pegs) Im assuming this isnt good cause its taking my feet away from controls(i was doing it mostly with left and not so much right to keep cover on rear brake) but i was wondering if scraping boots is a normal occurance or whether it means my bike isnt really designed for thos sorts of lean angles??

Cause i also noticed there was some scrapage on the bottom of my left footpeg when i got home...........so im guessing its the bike set up.........which is annoying cause i was just starting to get confident with lean angles and counter stearing(booking in for advanced course soon) but now im parranoyed my pegs will dig in or somethin if i go to far.....so wheter i should just ease up till i get something with a sports bike set up or are there any mods i can do to raise foot pegs?

2. firstly remove your peg feelers, they can and do dig in.....farking dangerous way to know when you are reaching the limits imo.

Secondly if you are scraping your boot it's time to move your ass..... thats right, try repositioning your body, so that you get your upper body right across (inside the line of the bike) and down ( i find that my outside arm should be almost straight and quite often i find i pull with the outside due to stretching, more then i do push with the inside arm), with half a ass off the seat....this will also push your knee out, i have noticed that in order to keep myself in alignment, i now have adjusted my foot position to have the ball of my feet across the peg or on the end of the peg(ie i set up gear choice and speed before the corner) this technique has offer up a lot more ground clearance to the sv :wink: with a similar position to the cb400 (i have ridden one on a training course (and yes very very easy to scape toes on).

Anyway hope that helps.

Cheers stewy

3. i typed what stewy wrote, more or less. but have shortened it to reinforce that in order to progress further, you need to -
    he has good advice, listen to it.

4. i ruined a good pair of gp boots this way...so i went out and bought some boots with sliders ...but by that time i had worked out the whole body position deal (to a degree anyway) and have never had any use for them

so like any noob with virginal knee sliders i just use them to kick things to make me look like a real biker

5. Thanks Stewy.......sounds like u know wat ur on about :p Will def take that onboard next time i go out!
    I think i kinda knew i shoulda been shiftin body position or 'moving my ass'........purely from watching motogp etc but yeah i guess i always forgot/freaked out when it came time to try it but a lot of it comes from practice and building up confidence i guess.

As i said im booking in for an advanced course soon(depends when i can get off work),the stay upright one, so hopefully that'll give me some good pointers that i can practice in a controlled environment. Im only on my Ps..........i can still do the advanced one cant i?? I know ill found out wen i book but if anyone knows let me know :)

And yes will def remove those feelers............thats exactly wat i was worried about diggin in.

Thanks again

6. no problem.... hope it helps. Best way to know if you are doing it right is see if you can get someone who can ride a similar style bike to you (get them to check your position.

I went through it with raven to get the initial position correct, then had skuffy (who also rides a naked with the upright riding position) to follow me round and offer some finer points. Between the 2 of them, it's been great feedback and owe both a beer for there time and advice :)

7. Stewy is right.
    The lower set pegs of your bike limit the amount of lean (any more and you run the risk of running out of tyre, perhaps), and the only way to improve your cornering safety is by position your body more aggressively, well inside the vertical axis of your bike. This will have the effect of keeping the bike more upright through the turn, which will allow you to either have more up your sleeve at the same speed or a faster speed before you begin to drag bits again.

However...bear in mind that at these increased speeds you may be pushing the other design limitations of your bike - such as tyres and suspension....so ease into it.

John.

8. Moving your feet away from the controls is fine too. I had trouble with that as a newbie because I wasn't sure "where" the controls were.

But it soon became natural to move my foot from the "cornering" position to the "control" position just long enough to operate the control - like a rally driver moving their hand to the gearshift just long enough to change gears.

Set up gears/braking before the corner, move feet back. When you're learning, just try it as a "day to day" thing when you've got all the time in the world to change gears and operate the rear brake - not cornering at full noise in the twisties. Then try it in the twisties - but get the "setup" for the corner dealt with long before the corner, so you're not rushed/stressed/panicked.

+1 to what the others said. :)

9. Thanks guys...........good help........appreciate it muchly!

10. For real 'street cred' apply an angle grinder to the outside edge of the soles on your riding boots.

For even more cred, apply it to the knees of your riding pants and the elbows of your riding jacket.

Take the boots, pants and jacket off first. :grin:

11. lol.......thanks metricryder......will have to get the grinder out for that and give it a go......will look way hardcore :cool:

Neways yeah i went out for a spin this arvo and tried to apply some of the above techniques.........it was with a mate aswell, even though hes on a gsxr600, i was still leaving him behind on most corners, admittedly he hadnt been on that rd before.......but i still like the idea of being quicker than a 600 :p Ofcourse hed kill me in a straight line........but he was impressed on how i kept up wen we had afew drag type races of from the lights a couple of times........only up to speed limits ofcourse :grin: Which reminds me.....saw 3 cops on the way back within bout 5mins.......that made for a quiet trip home

But yeah found the techniques with the body movement already helping and making a difference on leaning etc........and i still got heaps of room for improving. So yeah thanks again and i will keep on practicing and hopefully improving!

12. Just one thing that's been bugging me since you posted this thread. I was kinda hoping someone else would post about it but this hasn't happened so...

Why cover the rear in a corner? How confident are you that you won't jump on it and lock the rear mid-corner, in a panic situation?
    Just my opinion. Would like to hear what others have to say.

13. Don't start shifting your butt off the seat yet, you're a way off needing to do that, I promise!

You're hanging your feet down over the pegs, of course they're going to scrape. Put the balls of your feet on the pegs, or even your toes, when you're going into a corner. Make it a habit, even around town. You should only have your feet hanging down close to the road when you're operating the pedals.

When you get your toes up on the pegs you'll be amazed how much more you can lean the bike. When you start dragging pegs regularly on the road (you may well touch one or two down on the advanced course you're doing), then it's time to look at hanging off the bike - but not before.

14. why not practice the correct technique :? no point in doing something for a while then having to relearn it all, i am going through that atm and it's farking hard work, learning to readjust your lines/bike/road position, tip points the whole lot changes :)

15. Why not is because you have a much better feel for what the bike's doing when you're on top of it, and it's a much less physical way to ride. You only need to start hanging off a bike when you're riding it to the limits of its ground clearance. Unless you're dragging pegs in the corners, you're better off on top of the bike.

If you're not putting your toes up on your pegs, you can scrape your boots turning out of your driveway - I see a lot of learners riding with their toes down and it scares the crap out of me - it sounds a lot like this is what's going on here, he's not running out of clearance, he's just poking his toes down at the road.

16. And what if you don't have your foot there, panic, and lock the front brake mid corner?
    Clearly the real issue is the panic reaction, not where you have your foot ;).

17. Thanks again for the input everyone..........first of all i did mention i was scraping the pegs aswell(which to be honest was my main concern for obvious reasons) and also as mentioned i had already started lifting my feet up on the pegs..........the main reason i posted was that i figured after riding for only 5/6 monthsish i was already scraping pegs and getting wear on the outside line if the tire(not massive amounst or nething just enough to be visible) so i was asking if there was something i could do to try and assist the turning whilst reducing the lean angle.........funnily enough that seems to be shifting the body and movin my ass as stewy and others suggested.

Now i know the speed im carrying through the corners isnt requiring me to throw myself around the bike.......hanging off the side like rossi or wateva...........but if moving my body can reduce the lean angle slightly which then inturn gives me more room for error (i would imagine) then why not?
    And i realise other things like working on corner entry and all that are important(why im doin the course in 2 weeks!)
    And also as stew suggested im still learning(arent we all to some degree?) so wouldnt it be betta to learn betta technique now then just ignore it? So when i do start carrying higher corner speed i already hav an idea of how to make it through

ALSO....(going on for a bit i know) with the rear brake........i do see the point about jumping on mid corner cause im a noob and am gonna freak out.......but cant u use the rear brake to steady the bike.......like i mean 'feather' on the brake to control the rear wheel a tad?? I must admit ive only done it at slow speed(wat they teach u at the Ps test!) and am basically too scared/inexperienced to try it at high speed neways!

18. Paging Doctor Rob, Doctor Raven. Doctor Rob, Doctor Raven to the front desk please.

19. If you know what you're doing, yes. Of course others are of the thought that if you even think about using the rear brake mid-corner it will cause a rift in the space-time continuum killing small kitties everywhere - or something like that :LOL:.
    All comes down to the differences between what you can do on a bike, what you should do on a bike, and what you actually do on a bike :).

20. Easy tiger....I've only had that bike for 24 hours, and after getting off a 1988 GPX250, I think I'm doing ok. :p clearly I need to teach myself to trust the bike more after reading the best riding tips thread. Your bike is quick, but once I'm more confident on my new toy, I'll be all over you...*fingers crossed*...lol. Thanks for the ride mate, and I'll look forward to getting around more and seeing more on this forum. :)

Mike