Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scottoilers - any good?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by el B, May 26, 2006.

1. Hey folks,

Anyone out there who has used a Scottoiler and recommends for/against it? :?:

I'm interested in actual users' views and in particular anyone with a Gixxer or similar sportsbike. I'm picking up an '02 GSX-R 750 in a few weeks (will post pics! :cool: ) and so I'm shopping around for various bits & pieces while I wait for the paperwork to be finalised.

If the feedback is favourable and there's anyone keen on a group buy, I could be interested in that too :)

2. I've had one for a few years now. It's great.
    You do need to adjust the feed rate depending on the ambient temperature and when its raining. They supply at least two diferent lubes depending on the temperature conditions you think you will be riding in. When its raining the lube seems to "wash off". So, you may need to increase the feed/drip rate then.

3. Brilliant, I can't recommend them enough. In my opinion, by far the best improvement you can make to a stock bike.

I used one on my old Gixxer and barely remembered ever needing to adjust the chain. They are that good.

You need to keep a good eye on the oil reservoir to keep it topped up, and it is probably worthwhile fitting the extra capacity reservoir, particularly if going touring, but that's about all.

A tip though. Try not to cut the lines to the exact length, that way you can easily remove it and refit to another bike when you eventually move on.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

4. I bought a bike with one fitted, it had run out of oil and I couldn't get any in Newcastle so I had to ting the distributor in SA and he sent me 2 500ml bottles up. I still cant get the bloody thing to prime properly and it seems to leak somewhere, maybe thats why the previous owner didn't bother filling it up.
    I gave up trying to fiddle with the bloody thing and use Chail Wax last thing as I put her to bed.
    A good idea I think if you can get em to work.
    Other people swear by them but I cant say that I have had success.
    cheers :cool:

5. Sorry if this is a stupid question but...

So i assume you rig up some sort of canaster thingy that drips oil onto the chain at a constant rate. is that right?

Do you still need to clean the chain with kero every now and then?

6. Pretty much. There are different systems, but the basic idea is that they drip oil onto the chain while you are riding.

The benefits are that you can use thinner oil and as the chain is constantly oiled while you are riding (not just at the end of a ride).
    Also, the oil is always applied to a warm chain, so it penetrates into the linkages better than an aerosol ever can.
    Due to the lack of sticky gunk, the chain is kept clean, as the constant flow of oil also washes any nasty impurities away.

You still end up with a mucky rear wheel, but the thinner oil is much easier to clean off than the wax from aerosols.

7. I've fitted one to the Cat a couple of months back, IMHO it's a great bit of kit. Really depends what your expect it to do tho.

It's NOT a replacement for regular chain maintenance, ie inspection, adjusting, cleaning.

If properly set up/adjusted it DOES extend chain adjustment intervals by heaps, it CAN extend chain/sprocket life by heaps, it DOES keep the chain properly lubed in very wet/ dry/dusty conditions, and keeps the chain cooler on longer runs (300k's +) that in itself MAY reduce consumption/free up a bit of horsepower.

I put it on due to my slackness in lubing the chain after a wet winters ride to/from work, I cleaned/adjusted every weekend in winter/ fortnight in summer, but that's not enough if you travel out in the wet often. hard to find the energy, motivation to lube the chain in freezing wet weather after a day in the office tho.

I also found that 300k + day trips result in a dry/hot chain, the scottoiler fixes that.

Takes some thought to fit, and some patients to adjust, but it's well worth the effort IMHO

Got mine from the chaingang, good service too.

JJ

8. The oil that the Scott oiler uses, is it a proprietary thing or can you use anything? And if "anything", what's recommended?

What sort of range, km-wise does a Scottoiler get before it needs refilling? And when you're not riding, how's the drip feed halted, or started when going for a ride?