Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scottoiler - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Lugans, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Is anyone on Netrider using or has had experience with a Scottoiler system?

I'd like to get one but I'd also like to know what other people think of them.

2. Is this for a road bike? If so, I wouldn't waste my money or the time needed to install it. Modern chain lube lasts for hundreds of km; is it really that hard to spray some more on every fourth or fifth ride?
  3. TIP: I get 21 results from typing "scottoiler" in the search bar at the top right. It's not exactly a topic where you need to ponder much about what search term to use. It's also one you could easily assume has been raised on just about every bike forum on the internet ever.

It's been well covered, but in short, pretty much everyone I've seen post anywhere who has fitted one swears by them.

I've had one sitting here for ages that I need to get around to fitting. Around town it's a less pressing need, but still seems a nice convenience, and on trips the appeal is a lot greater.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I've got one. I recommend their use, or that of any other auto oiler of your choice. I estimate, based on observations of other DRs, that it's extended the life of my chain by 60-80% and has reduced my chain maintenance needs to pretty much zero. Over 60,000 km adjustment has only been necessary when the wheel's been out for tyre work.
  5. I made one of these

Been using it for 2 weeks and it works fine. Next mod is to add a solenoid valve to control it with the ignition.
  6. Yup - they are good.

Only ever seem to get bad reviews from people who's mate's had one "and they fling crap everywhere".

I've had one on my last two bikes and have no regrets.
    They can over-lube a little on really hot days but you just need to turn down the flow (twist the top of the tube). Also using the red (hotter weather/ temp) oil should help with this.

Fairly easy to install too - I installed the last V system myself and I'm no mechanic.
    Not tried the E system but it looks even easier to install as you don't have to run a vacuum line down to the engine anymore.
  7. Oh, mine flings crap everywhere, I just don't care :D.

Seriously, though, there's no more mess than you'd get from (less effective) spray lubes and it wouldn't be an issue if I ever cleaned my bikes.
  8. #9 Rainbow7, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    I don't know, man. - I recently saw an FZ6 with a Scottoiler installed and the bike was absolutely covered in oil. Bel-Ray Blue Tac chain lube, on the other hand, simply will not fling off.

If I was a motorcycle courier/doing long commutes/riding around Australia, etc, I would look at a Scottoiler. For the average weekend rider, though, I don't believe they are worth the expense. JMO, of course.
  9. If you commute and ride on weekends get one. Mine has given me 40k from the OEM chain and sprockets. Very little issue with fling from the chain, just keep an eye on it and adjust the flow as required. I have the E system by the way.
  10. Where do I sign up for this group buy? I am interested if the seller is supplying with the red higher temp oil!

11. It was either badly adjusted or, like me, the rider doesn't care and never bothers to clean it. The amount of fling that should be happening given sensible adjustment would be automatically dealt with by a not particularly diligent weekly clean of the bike, which most riders do anyway. Personally I like a good coating of oil. It discourages corrosion and makes the bike less attractive to thieves whilst doing no harm whatsoever.
  12. Umm, the Group Buy I am arranging is for VIC buyers, where I can pass the Scottoiler kits directly to them w/out incurring further postage. And from my inquiry, the savings is only in terms of postage from the ebay Seller, not so for the kit itself.

You can order direct from the Seller and it would prolly cost no more than if you joined our group Buy, and I had to post it to QLD.

I have a different preference, I prefer cheap 20W-50 engine oil as opposed to the orig Scottoiler lube. Latter is thicker, like normal spray-type chain lube, while former, the engine oil I use, runs & "spreads" easily around, and it will fling, but is easy to wipe off.

Try it - chain lube and engine oil, once dirtied, which is easier to wipe off.

I set my Scottoiler at Lvl 1. I wipe the oil off my wheel with tissue mebbe once every 2 weeks.

On my old Pro-Oiler (electronic system with twin nozzle), I used orig Stockoiler lube. Need a cloth & kero to remove the oil from the back wheel.
  13. Scottoiler = best thing since sliced bread :)
    We both have the vacuum type and use Caltex chain bar oil.
    Duel nipples are the go and buy a few spares with your order. Always check the nips for alignment after services / tyre changes ;)

You still have to check and adjust your chain.
  14. The original 500 ml of Scottoil lasted me 50,000 kms at a fairly generous flow rate. Funny but I didn't find it particularly viscous or sticky (the blue stuff). Currently using some straight 30 grade which I happened to have for another purpose but which appears to behave similarly to the Scottoil. When that runs out it'll be either 20/50 or 15/40 engine oil 'cos that's what I've got. It's too easy to get hung up on the exact type of oil to use but really it doesn't matter much. It's the presence of a continuous flow of clean, fresh oil that is more important rather than the precise properties of the oil itself.

And, as I said, although I've been checking chain tension, I've found that adjustment has been quite acceptable if left until tyre changes. No other tweaks necessary. I got over 50k out of the OEM chain on the DR with zero scheduled maintenance apart from filling the oiler. A similar, non-oiler fitted DR which used to park next to me got just over 30k and, watching his snail cams over time, seemed to need adjustment every other weekend. The only other thing I've come across which would do the same for chain life is full enclosure.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. messy messy - go for a good tin of wax grease
  16. You're spot on! Well, confession time for me - I just wanted the cheapest oil I could find, and after some research on the Net found people using engine oil, tried that out, since it works great, have stuck with it since!

Same experience, except ... add tyre punctures too! Well, I did adjust it once myself, just last week (that's 30k+ km since Scottoiler installed, 2 sets of tyres, Rr disc & pad).

Seems to be a common thread for these auto-oilers - those who haven't used it pooh-pooh the thought, "it's not good, it's a waste of money, etc". People who've had it, keep installing it on their (next) bikes.

Well, to each their own!
  17. My next bike is likely to be a shaftie but, in the unlikely event that it's not, it'll definitely be getting an oiler. I've done the spray lube and a monthly Linklyfe bath regime in the past and, whatever you might try to tell yourself at the time about it being "just as good" , it's not.
  18. I use something called a TUTORO - a very simple gravity feed system that costs about $30 delivered. You Top it Up, Turn it On, then Ride Off.

Very basic mechanism but works brilliantly. Short trips I don't bother but longer ones (esp highway) I always use it on my bikes.

I've also found chain adjustments to be minimal, and I hardly ride like a saint. Would recommend chain oilers to anyone.

Cheers - boingk
  19. ]

Yep, manual oilers are much cheaper and just as good for your chain. The only downside is that you must remember to turn them on and off. Some people can do that but my memory for shit like that has never been great and is rapidly deteriorating with age so I, personally, need the assurance that it's all taken care of automatically.
    • Like Like x 1