Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scottoiler.. Any good? Any bad? Please do tell..

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by JenStarlette, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Have heard only good reports about them. SO yeah give it a go.. :)
  2. I've got one. I've almost forgotten how long I've had it. May be 3 or 4 years. It works a treat and a have to remember to fill it up. Usually, I'll check it before a longer trip of say 1500kms in 3 days. I've got the tube reservoir instead of the under the licence plate reservoir. I'm a short range, atavistic Cafe Racer Punk, so won't go for the larger reservoir yet.
    They make at least two different types of oil to suit the temperatures that you are travelling through.

You do need to pump up the flow if it rains heavily and the oil is washed off the chain.
  3. Man, seriously, it takes the whole of 60 seconds to lube a chain after you park your bike at the end of a ride.

I'd rather thick tacky goop all over my chain that is allowed to soak in rather than thin pissy oil that is flung everywhere.

To each their own ;)
  4. I don't have a Scottoiler, but I just installed a pro-oiler. Seems pretty good so far - the chain feels much nicer than when I used chain goop (probably because I'm too lazy to clean and lube the damn thing). It also cost me about the same as a scott-oiler.

The pro-oiler is like the scott-oiler, but it's pump driven and computer controlled. It bases the oiling on distance traveled and what settings you've entered through a little console. They reckon you use about 1L of oil per 70,000 km. The fling off keeps the chain clean. A PITA to install though (at least on my bike).
  5. I've got a scottoiler, had it on for 6 months and 9,000km :)

Absolutely love it, I just can't get the bike on the rear stand by myself, so oiling the chain was a pain in the rear, and i like to go touring, so it really saves me a lot of hassle

Its adjustable, the only prob is whenever they play with my power commander they shove the wiring back down next to the scottoiler in the boot and push the adjuster on to a higher setting and it makes a bit of a mess :roll:

But well worth the money :grin:
  6. I put a Scottoiler on my ZX9R as the chain was a pain to keep lubing
    The hardest part was installing it, in the end I made up my own
    support bracket
    I ride every day so far my chain has very little wear and the whole system is brillant
  7. Brilliant piece of kit.

It's the only way to make sure a chain is lubed properly in ALL conditions.
    rain/dust etc etc.

Chains need lubing every 300-350 k's, more often in wet or dusty conditions, who relubes the chain after getting caught out in a heavy rain storm? Who relubes the chain mid way through a 500+ k ride?

I do, automatically every time I ride.

longer chain life, longer intervals between adjustments, less dollars on replacing chains/sprockets.. yep, worth the dollars I reckon.

8. I have to agree with that, I remember we had a group buy for a similar setup but was much cheaper, any one remember? any way, it worked great, just as it said, but regardless of oil, it made a MESS of my rear wheel, I ended up taking it off.
  9. I have a scottoiler and if you use your bike everyday in all weathers it is the business.

I would get around to oiling the thing about once a month and struggled to get reasonable mileage out of the chain. With the lazy mans tool oiler I can ride off every morning without thinking if I was not running late for work I would have had time to oil the chain.

I agree that it does make a mess of the back end of the bike, but that just ensures that it matches the front.

Every time I wash my bike it falls over.
  10. properly adjusted, the scottoiler wont mess the rear rim in "normal" dry conditions. It's recommended to up the flow in heavy wet or dusty conditions, to keep the water/crap out of the chain. In that case, yes it can make the back rim a bit messy, but a piece of urine to wipe off.
    dirty rim or properly maintained chain and long life sprockets??? you make your own choices.

the other group buy thingo "the loobman" will. its just a squeeze bottle full of oil.

scottoiler is a vacuum operated adj metering device that applis oil directly where needed
  11. Every review (first hand and on the net) gave it glowing reports. Installed one on the daytona and couldn't be happier. Just need a quick 1-2 second easy wipe after each ride or when I get home to wipe off the flick off and all is well. Probaboly need a proper clean of the rims every few months if I want them looking spic + span but I guess most bikes do anyway.

Plus the benefits of longer chain life + fewer chain adjustments is a bonus with me :grin:
  12. Look at this thread of lazy arse bastards who cant
    spend 30 secs to oil up a chain every now & then. :LOL:

Shame on you all. [-X
  13. Ha! Don't forget the typical hmm 2-5 times chain life extension most/all users report, less chain adjustment needed and us one armed gimps who find lubing a painful and fatiguing job :eek:

Every report I read on it before purchasing a scottoiler have given it praise, at least the ones who worked out how to actually install it properly :) The extra chain life and chain adjustment were the main sellers as I (try to) wash my bike weekly so the extra time lubing it is no big thing anyway but it's a great bonus on top of the chain life and adjustment features of having a scottoiler. Also, it gets people asking "What is that?? Is it some sort of turbo" from the people who don't know much/anything about bikes. I guess a lot of car drivers see it and wonder what the hell that "machinery" on the side of the bike with red liquid is for. I think I need to put a NOS sticker on it :LOL:

Shame on all the lazy bastards too lazy to buy + install an automatic lubing device for their pride and joy :wink: :LOL:
  14. I only hear good things about them, except from dirt riders. Consensus seems to be the oil+mucho dust = grinding paste when used in an off road situation.

For a road bike, they seems to make good sense.