Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scorpion GP Tech boots and Arai Vector helmet

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by barts, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I've been busy buying up a storm on my CC - that way my girlfriend doesn't know the damage of my misuse - which is fairly mild anyway I think.

So, because my pup ate my Alpinestar boots, I've been riding mostly with my trainers, or Brutale boots (which are comfortable, but protection is minor with exepction to the heel).

I got onto ebay and had a bit of a search and found a pair of Scorpion GP Tech boots, thought they looked pretty reasonable, and had a fair amount of protections - I ended up winning at a couple dollars over $140, plus postage - the landed price was still under $160.00

I got one size up on what I wear with my trainers, and I'm glad I did, because I have a wide foot, and the 45's would have been too tight for me.

I've gone for a couple of spins with them on, and the feel great all round and really very comfortable - better than the Alpinestars, but that may have been because they were a bit too tight?

It's early on, but initially looking at the boots the quality looks as good as any boots I've looked at - I've had them on at my desk for most of the day, and my feet are reasonably comfy as well.

The protection is great - a chunky looking toe slider which is screwed in so they're replaceable. There's a tonne of plastic support around the back on the heel, which looks comforting that it'll help. and there's big plastic on the shin as well - it also has the pivot point on the sides for forward/backwards movement like some of the more expensive boots.

For the money I'm wrapped, I figured if it was junk then I would have made bigger mistakes than this so i could live with it, but I'm glad I did, because they seem to be everything I would want in a much more expensive boot.

So now, I lost my Ti-Tech AGV helmet, when I got bucked off my R1, causing them both to be no more - and I've been riding around now for ages with my old helmet, which as got to the point where it keeps getting dropped, and I care less and less...

I must admit, the most important part of my body because it contains my brain whcih is amazing, and my face which is equally as amazing.

I looked at a couple of different shops. I know the AGV's are comfy for my head, but I wanted to try something else - I looked at Shark, Shoei and Arai helmets, and decided to go the Arai - they all felt pretty, and I guess what really swayed me was I like the look of the Arai most at the end of the day.

The model I got was the Arai Vector - the Spike graphics - it's red with silver swordy looking things, and a bit swirly behind it - the description is rank, but it does look the business.

I got it for $650 plus the visor - I checked the net when I got back, and it was under some of the online guys who sell the same brand, although this graphics weren't on there, but the Vectors in general were.

On my head, it's fairly tight all the way around, and you'd expect from a new helmet, and I'd expect that to calm down a bit as I wear it more.

There are a million and one vents and it's noticeable when you ride - one thing I noticed from the helmet I had was that normally I'd only ever feel the vent around my face, and not much from the top vents - so this is a nice change, and I didn't have the brow vents open either.

It also feels pretty light, and looking around me is really easy - sounds funny but you know what I mean.

Helmets are always one of the most important pieces of kit you can buy, but not everyone has the money to buy an out and out race helmet - this one is about half the cost of the top teir range, but admittedly a fair way more (comparitively) than a HJC or KBC, but I thiink my head deserves it.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with both purchases and think I've done well to get them.

If my thoughts change in the furture I'll post again, but otherwise if you're in the market for boots or a new helmet then I'd suggest having a look at either of these two...
  2. Good work , funny I found I have gone down in size with motorcycle boots.
    Bit odd that as I cant wear a trainer thats 1 size too small.