Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooters that look like bikes.

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by trivial, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Hi,

*disclaimer* unsure if scoots i'm refering to are bikes, or just scoots that look like bikes

I've only joined the forum recently and I'm interested in getting a lil 'scoot' to just tut around my area. (Hilly, suburban area with lots of old folks in unroadworthy volvos).
    The 'scoots' I refer to aren't like vespas, they look like bikes, but aren't exactly bikes?
    I've considered bikes, but I'm not venturing onto freeways or the like, so seems unneccessary? And nostalgia makes me want a scooter more.
    I know it's sort of 'how long is a piece of string', but some direction would be great....

I got into the whole bike thing after spending a year riding scooters in asia, so i'm looking for abit of nostalgia in a scooter back at home. (Still technically L's in VIC). The scooters over there look like bikes, but aren't exactly the same thing? (no upward kick for first gear? less gears? single cylinder? harsher gearing)

So basically something like enduro/dirt bikes but road registerable and reliable(bullet proof is preferable?)?
    Doing this on the cheap is great too. (i'm bound to drop it). Leaves more $$ for better protection. But reliable in terms of build quality is the main thing.(straight chassis and won't fall to pieces while riding).

Sorry for being so vague.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

So the question is:

What is a stalwart 4-stroke 1-cylinder bike with 250cc or less? And doesn't need the upkick for first gear haha

Let's say I want to spend about 2.5-3k?

Cheers.

2. 4 stroke single cylinder bike eh...

Try the SR250 for a road-looking thing or a Yamaha Scorpio. (Don't know if these have hit the second hand market yet).

For trailies, the choice is endless. TTR250's, TW200's etc.

3. [​IMG]
    Honda CT110

4. so trailies are good to register? thanks for help. I think I rode a CT overseas. Will definitely look into em. Thanks heaps :]

5. What you're referring too are called 'step-throughs'