Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooters as a substitute until I have the $$$

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by slinkyjo, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Hey guys, just want your opinion on this.
    I'm am in Adelaide SA and going to take the rider safe course next month. After I get my learners and P, I plan to keep riding a scooter which I plan to buy until the end of my 12 months probation period.
    I see the logic of doing this for two reasons...
    1. I don't want to spend $$$ on a bike (250s or LAMS) that I don't want and will sell in the next 12 months. (Bike that I want is an SV650)
    2. Scooter is fun and easy to ride... and I will probably keep in the future for easy and cheap commute.

So my question is, how hard is it to adapt from a 50cc scooter to a 650cc bike a yr after getting my P? The SV650 forum says that the bike is pretty learners friendly. Anyone with similar experience want to share?

2. Twist and go 50cc to an SV650 is probably not ideal. You'll have had no practice using your gearbox, blipping the throttle, using your foot on the rear brake or hill starts. I would suggest you're heading for a big comession lock up followed by a slide (of course I hope this never happens).

The money that can buy a scooter can just as easliy by a 2nd hand 250. If you buy the 250 and practice the skills required to ride a motorcycle, you will be in a far better position to keep your SV upright in the future. :)
  3. Perhaps something like a Sachs Madass 125 would be better than a scooter? At least that way you develop the basic skills that you'll need for the SV.
  4. Yesterday I got my fulls and started to ride my sv650s, I rode a zzr250 for over a year for my Ls/Ps. The learning curve is steep jumping between them, I've only done 100kms on it! (weak I know) The first few kms of twisties I was feeling pretty rough and not confident. The next short twisty run I did I felt alot smoother and I could relax. I'm not there yet, but give it a week and I'll be 90% adjusted.. the last 10% will probably take a while though.

I guess its all about what you can get used to, my first impressions were that the sv was a heavy biatch that you just couldn't throw around - but thats coming from a tiny light 250. As I said, within very few kms my confidence increased and I found it to be quite agile with some confidence. In fact I think it handles much better (even with its current stock slushpuppy front suspension) in general.

As for the jump.. the jump from 250 to 650 is not intimidating, the power isn't scary its just.. pleasant and useable. I went from about 30-35 hp to 70, so its about double. 50cc is about 7hp? So its a pretty big jump.

But you can go from 250 to 1000 with no dramas as long as you take it easy at first, so I don't think its an issue of power thats the problem.

Scooters and bikes have some big differences obviously. Riding a scooter you just WONT have developed skills such as using the clutch properly, being responsible for the distribution of your own power (gears and clutch), etc.

So a 250 or something manual bike would be a better learning platform and you really lose very little in depreciation as long as you take care of it. Not to mention it will be ALOT more fun and rewarding than a gutless 50cc scooter. I mean imagine going from 60kmh max speed on a good day, to 0-60 in 2 seconds..

Just food for thought. SV is a sweet bike and is very noob friendly. The sv650 is better to learn on than the sv650s imo.
  5. I've moved from a 250 to a 600 and found its a big jump in power (although I'm on a RR)

I'd hate to have gone straight to the 600 without any time on the 250..... The experience was definitely worth the $$ I'm going to lose by selling the 250.
  6. The way a scooter rides (handles) is totally different to that of a motorcycle.
    Therefore you would need to re-learn from scratch when upgrading.
    IMHO you would be doing yourself a disservice, by getting a scooter first.

I'm with Seany on this one.

Get a bike, learn, then upgrade.
  7. Also, depending on what sort of bike you get and condition you keep it in, you shouldnt loose to much on the resale value. Have a look at some of the 250 CBRs on the market, their age and what they are selling for.
  8. So you want to buy a scooter to save money? A scooter will cost what $2-4k. Many decent leraner bikes are available in that price range, and will depreciate a similar amount.
    Do it right and buy a bike, a scooter will teach you some bad habits, plus you won't learn smooth gear operation.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. thanks lads!
    Point taken.That's a whole lot of logic. I guess its time to dig up some 250 threads to figure which is best to get. :grin:
  10. Spent 10 hours on a 250cc in a training park, passed and straight onto a 1000cc. Never looked back.

Have no idea about this OMG BS about bigger bikes?

Those where the days! :wink:
  11. How are u finding the SV? I envy u so much, which makes me kinda hate u. :evil: Haha Ride safe mate.
  12. thats a big jump mate, what are the comparative horsepower figures.

twist too far on the sv650 in a low gear and it'll most likely kick you off the back.
  13. Pfft, he'll be right! My learner's bike had 65 hp.........

Regards, Andrew.
  14. Buy a second hand 250
    Rent a scooter for the test
    get your full licence
    Buy your big bike

Own a scooter 50cc
    pass test
    Get big scooter eg burgman 650 or nexus and keep up with the bikes and beat the traffic
    or wait for the Mana 650 (its an automatic motorbike)
  15. Depends. If you've ridden any average 250cc bike its a very easy jump to the SV in terms of power. But from 50 cvt to 650 manual.. definitely doable if you take it easy, just probably not the wisest.

The SV's power isn't melting my face like it did when I first got it. But thats ok because if I wanted big power I wouldn't have bought it.
  16. its not as hard as these guys think. i went from 100cc scooter to 250cc bike and 250cc scooter then a 650. it was easier having spent time on 250's but the last 4 months before I got the 650 I was on a 250 scooter (the 250 bike went to god which is why I was back on a scooter) . but I did do training on a 600 (a one day course and then a practice session) before I got the 650 and before i got the 250 road bike I did a practice session learning gear changing.
    the last practice session was good as the guy knew what I was doing and told me at the end I'd be ok on a 600. so if you can mix your scooter riding with some training and maybe hire a 250 occasionally you should be ok, as long as you take it easy.
  17. "Scooters as a substitute until I have the $$$"

I read that as "Im gonna root blokes till i find a decent woman"