Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter to Bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by willko, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, great forums you have here.. I've read many many topics now and I think I'm falling in awe of motorbikes.

I've been riding my good ol' Vespa ET2 50 for a while now but I'm becoming frustrated with the lack of acceleration and general 'versatility' of the moped. It is great for urban city driving though, and that's what I use it for basically - going to uni and back, but I can't help but think what'd be like to drive down Adelaide's coast in 80k zones.

My main problem with the Vespa at the moment is when I filter through the traffic and get to the front, wait, light turns green, and I'm off... ever so slowly... I've found that the people behind me in these situations get frustrated that I 'took their spot' and now I only seem to be slowing them down. I'm from Melbourne originally and I find that Adelaide drivers aren't the most compromising people on the road (90% of the time they don't even let you in) and I've been in a number of dangerous situations where they have actually changed lanes and driven in front of me just to cut me off.. almost wiping me off the road altogether.

So yeah, the thought of a speedy 250 looks enticing. I've got a few questions that you can hopefully help me out with :grin:

-What are the lightest 250's around? I'm average height and pretty light and I don't like the thought of driving a heavy bike, or do you get used to it?
    -How good are they on fuel compared to a scooter? How much does it cost to fill a tank?
    -Why does everyone talk about dropping their bike so much? Why's it so common?

2. Welcome. I've no idea on the lightest 250 but the Pagsta's that were on display at the Expo were 150kg, again, i've no idea how this compares to other 250's. I've ridden a CBR250RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that was light and nimble and I've ridden a 200kg SP1. When they are moving, the weight isn't really an issue, well it wasn't for me.

Fuel, well, they are going to use more fuel. My CBR used to get 20km to the litre, the ZX6R was up around 18km/l, the SP drank more than me and was around 13km/l.
    Twins drink more but are way more fun than those boring inline 4's :p
    Cost to fill a tank, depends on the bike and the capacity of the tank.
    15 litre tank at $1.30 a litre = $19.50

Dropping bikes, you only drop them when you go too slow ;)
    Losing the fight with gravity is the reason why they fall over.

3. :LOL: :LOL:

good advice

4. I ride a CB250 - I think it's one of if not the lightest 250's to ride. it's slower than most other 250's but MUCH quicker than a scooter.
    It's light, easy to manouver, I haven't dropped it & I've been riding it for 14 months now.

Fuel - I can get 450km's out of my tank before it goes to reserve - it's a 16 litre tank, 3 litres of which are reserve.

Generally I pay between 13-16 dollars to fill with premium 98 octane.

5. My Virago weighs in at approximately 130kg, I'm not sure if that is dry or wet weight though.
    It has a 9.5 ltr tank to which I average 300kms.... 3ltrs for every 100kms. I have no trouble lane splitting to the front and taking off way faster than most cars. Price to fill up depends on cost of fuel at the time and how empty my tank is, but averages out at about $9-$10. Service costs are cheap, so are parts, my rear tyre last winter cost me $130 and should last me about 10/12 thousand km's.

If I was in a car and you split to the front of me and then took off well below the pace of the traffic, causing me to be even later for work or whatever...Id be more than pissed off with you. That is just crazy, dangerous and inconsiderate of you.

6. Why in the hell are you after something that is "light"?

The fact is - when a motorcycle is in motion - there is very little difference in the "steering effort required to keep it upright".

There is a Huge myth that heavier bikes are more difficult to ride. What utter rubbish. The thing which makes a bike hard to ride is its engine/gear configuration.

It is much harder to ride a sports big because you have to get the gear changes exactly right.

But, it you ride a big, heavy bike, with more "low end torque" - then getting the gear changes correct doesn't matter as much (this is what LAMS is all about).

The easiest bike I have ever ridden is the one I ride now - surprise, surprise - its a 300 kg H-D!!!!! :grin: :grin:

Why do people drop their bikes so often? Its because they don't understand the "physics" and haven't taken the time to get the appropriate rider education..... And newbies take time to "get their attitude right".

But, hey - I'm an old fart. You don't have to take my experienced advice....

Oh - on fuel consumption - my 1450cc H-D regularly gets 20 km per litre or 5 ltrs per 100km.

7. I counted 6 question marks in that paragraph. To me the OP was asking questions, he wasnt making statements and sprouting myths.

People ask for advise and you bark at them. :roll:

8. Lightest 250s would be the 2-strokes - but they're not exactly the friendliest of bikes. As far as 4-strokes go weight seems to vary depending on engine - ie parallel 4s seem to be heavier than v-twins which are heavier than single cylinders. None of them are really that heavy though, after all most 250s were designed for the Japanese market so you'd have to be pretty small to struggle with one.

9. willko, most 250 road, non cruiser bikes are around 110-150kgs. Sounds heavy, which it is if its laying down, but thats another story. As some people have said, the weight isn't an issue when you're going fast, but seems to me saying that and dismissing the weight issue is pretty stupid. Sure at higher speeds it wont be a problem, but at low speeds (which is when people drop their bikes due to lack of control and where most accidents occur), the weight is important.

How tall are you and what weight? I'm 78 with a zzr which weighs 148 dry, so 160-70 with fluids. People who weigh 60kg and less still ride the zzr, its just a matter of getting used to it and having respect and trust of the bike, especially at low speeds.

As to bike drops, they happen when learners (like myself) are doing something very slow, maybe reversing, parking the bike, etc. with a factor they might not have considered, eg. slope of road, if they are being careless, yada yada yada. If you're always vigilant at low speeds, you should be able to avoid dropping your bike.

But if you're looking for a light great learners bike, as edgelett says, a CB250 is a great choice. Light and extremely easy to manouver, + makes the provisional test a piece of cake.

10. To answer the 2nd part of that question, regardless of weight, you will get used to it. There was a stage where if my bike started going, it took like every muscle in my body to stop it from falling, where as now I get bored at the lights and throw it from side to side between my legs, and it takes me a few minutes, but I can ride a heavier bike without too much trouble.... I'm still SERIOUSLY CRAP at the slow stuff though.

oh yeah, and on the issue of dropping... the most classic thing i think i've ever seen was the dude riding his new scooter out of the scooter shop in heidelberg rd fairfield. he'd had it for maybe 30 seconds, before he decided upon yankin them handlebars to turn. down and down she go.... if the 3 lanes of traffic didn't lock up it would have been funny as hell. the sheepish grin on his face remained funny as hell.

11. No - I give an answer - and state an opinion and Vic yells at me... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Vic - get over it and just stop reminding people that you and I love having a go at each other :p :p :p ....

All I was trying to do was to stop Wilko from getting too focussed on getting a "light" bike.

Apologies to Wilko if what I said came across as too loud...

12. agree with the others mate. Dont worry about the weight too much.

I totally understand the thoughts your having regarding weight. I had the same thoughts when i made the move from the scoot to a bike. But JK is right, its more to do with control and riding skill than weight alone.

The more important issues are how tall are you? feather weight or super heavey weight? style ie cruiser or sports? price range? the type of riding you want to do? Think about these and then we'll toss up some options.

What about LAM's, why just a 250?

cheers.

13. It's just that you're used to having to shout over the noise of the Harley...

:LOL: :LOL: :p

14. that's a good point, what state are you in?

I would at a guess say they're thinking of a 250 due to fuel costs, since they specifically mentioned it in their thread.

15. on the weight issue i agree with those who point out that heavier bikes are easier to ride. i'm 58kg, i just made the shift from ZZR250 (dry weight 148kg) to Hornet600 (176kg) and cannot believe how much easier it is to ride - one major factor being not being buffetted around by the wind so much. only occassional issue is moving it about in the garage at home...

16. that's also a good point - I get blown around like Bill clinton on the CB250. It's great for commuting - sucks for high speeds in the wind.

4 months, 1 week, 5 days to go.

17. I've just changed from a scooter to a 250 and I like the extra weight. Much more stable to ride, especially in the wind. Extra power is nice too!

18. :rofl: :rofl:
    :woot: :woot:

19. As far as fuel economy goes, I think bikes can actually do bettter than scooters, due to less weight and manual transmission. For example, I read about 125cc and 150cc scooters using about 3.5l/100kms - well, my CB250 uses about that much in the city and even less on the open roads, despite being larger. I think 250cc scooter would use more fuel than I do.

As to how much it costs to fill the tank... that depends on the tank, and on fuel prices :) My tank takes 16 liters, which is about average size. Some bikes might take more than 20 liters (V-Strom takes 22, I think), while some sporty models might have tanks smaller than mine.

20. I have both - scooter and bigger bike. I commute everyday on the scooter and leave the bike for touring etc.

If you're just commuting I still recommend getting a bigger scooter and not a motorbike. I've got a Yamaha Aerox - max. speed 90kph - not recommended on freeway. Costs me between $5-8 (when premium was $1.5) - my daily round trip is 30k. I have no problems out-dragging most cars and sometimes 250cc motobike. On the scooter I don't have to worry about chains etc. I can still wear my work clothes - I do wear a bike jacket though- even to see clients.

Jo