Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter to Bike - where to start

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TRA, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Hi folks. Nice forum, espscially the anti-bot question when joining -> Enter the year Valentino Rossi was born. Tip: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=valentino+rossi+born+year

I dont even know who Valentino rossi is!!!

Anyhow, I am a scooter rider, started on a 50cc many years back. Rode it till it fell to pieces and then vowed never to buy another, till recently when I got fed up with trains. Now on a 250cc scooter. I have gone for a couple of long rides and now have the bug and want something just a bit more powerful and more comfortable. I have an RE class licence but have never ridden a manual bike, so looking for suggestions on where to start in Brisbane. I am a bit nervous that my left hand will mistake the cluch for the brake, and I will forget the foot brake etc. Spent too much time on scoots as I was never really interested in riding for fun, until now.

Also hunting around for a bike to get experience on. Spotted a GSX650F i like recently at a good price (new), but turns out its not a restricted version and hence not lams approved. Would this be a silly bike to buy (exluding legal reasons) for a newbie? I intend to stick local and close to home when getting familiar. Been on the roads for a good 15 years now, so I am not a newbie at driving! Once I get comfortable on a manual bike I will go get my open bike licence.

2. Just from the numbers, the bike seems to be on the novice friendly side...

That said, if you haven't ridden bikes with gears/clutch, I'd advise you sign up for a class first to have a go at it on training bikes. I know here in Vic, you can do like a half-day intro course (which doesn't involve any testing) for like $90 from some training organizations.
  3. I changed from scooter to a bike about 3 years back. Still ride a little scooter as well as the bike. Did a session at HART riding around on a 250 changing gears and that was it. Don't use the rear brake much in normal riding and haven't got the clutch and brake confused yet. Had a 250 for a while then a 650 when I got my full licence.
  4. If you're a scooter rider then I'd suggest trying to keep your 1st bike fairly light and whilst there is a LAMS version of the GSX650F it's as heavy (or heavier) than most 1000's are.

The Suzuki GS500F is LOTS lighter and may be better suited, also consider the LAMS version of the Suzuki SV650 and Suzuki Gladius.
  5. If you're used to the weight of a scooter then a twofiddy would be best for you.

How old/heavy/big are you? Those factors are important in picking the right bike.

Do you favor cruisers, racing bikes, motards, etc?
  6. Thanks for the tips. Been reading through all the info on this site, will take me some time. There is certainly some great info here.

I am 182cm, 100kg, so by means a small bloke. Age, 33. I prefer sports bikes, but also like some of the cruisers out there. I really like the hayabusa, but common sense is preventing me from buying one of them just yet!!!
  7. I recently upgraded from a Derbi GP1 250 to a Triumph Street Triple R.

Was riding scooters for 2 years and had never ridden a bike.

Did one 90 minute training session and was fine to go for my ful licence the same week.

Once I had my licence I went out and test rode the ones on my short list and chose the Trumpy.

Some people will tell you to start out with a smaller engine/lighter bike etc, but do what you are comfortable with.
    As long as you learn and ride at a pace you are comfortable with, go for it!
  8. Booked in a 2 hour session at Morgan and Wacker next Friday. Good start. I guess the benefit of doing that is I will get some idea of size and weigh from their bikes.
  9. I'd recommend a 400 then over a two-fiddy, given you're not a small bloke. Bigger guys look silly on 250s and if you can handle the extra weight of the bike it'll be more stable in the wind.

And yes, I'd stay off a Hayabusa :) Ride a 600 racer before you go to 1000+, if you make that big a jump in 1 hop you'll end up wrapping it around a pole..