Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter tachos...

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by mr_sikma, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Does anyone have tachos on their scooters standard?

I wouldnt mind an aftermarket one, mainly for looks but will come in handy with the 70cc kit ;)

Do you have to use special motorbike type ones, rather than an everday car one.

Because i think the car ones have switches for 4,6,8 cylinders.

2. no idea.. and i wouldntr mind a temp gauge either.

always wondered what screeeming down a hill at close to 80km an hr is doing to my scoot.. when it flat ground speed is only 68/70...
  3. yeah i always back off down hills, doesnt sound like they like it hay!

just not much space for any gauges...
  4. When you speed up going down hills, to say 80km/hr its not just eh engine that will be hurting. The CVT transmission will also be screaming its tits off.

But then again, thats what scoots are made for - to be thrashed around flat chat all day.
  5. You might want to have a look at one of these - good for any number of cylinders and both 2 and 4 stroke engines.
  6. not a bad idea.. could be an option a bit later.. other side of the coin is prolonged 60km an hr stints.. would it harm???

i mean they are revved to that limit and held at that speed for 5-10 minutes and air cooled.. yet no temp gauge at all. is there a chance of damage at even that speed?

cheers for the link JD
  7. I think you should be looking towards a proper tacho for a bike. The main reason is weather resistance and mounting options.
  8. yeah would need a waterproof one...

and i would be spewen if i just got ripped off in the parking lot or something!
  9. the other problem with that Jaycar one is that it only shows up to 9,000 RPM. That could be a problem on most bikes (and maybe scoots too?)
  10. and my mate just told me that you usually have to make them yourselves as they come as a kit!?!

9000rpm, my 50cc would never go that high!
  11. Yeah the Jaycar tacho is a kit - though they're not that difficult to put together. Really if you struggle with the kit then you probably shouldn't be playing around with the scoots electrics trying to wire in a tacho in the first place :LOL:. Oh and 9,999rpm should be enough for most small scooters (and a lot of large bikes), waterproofing is pretty easy by just running a bit of gasket goo, silastic or grease around the join in the box.
  12. i wasnt going to try to wire it up

just take it to my mechanic

but yeah just wana find one first
  13. looked around on that site and there is a distributor in australia.
    3 Millennium Court, Knoxfield, Victoria 3180, Australia e-mail: brendanhughes@narva.com.au Ph: 03 97306000

hmm, i wonder if this would be a good thing to put on my dirt bike as i currently got no speedo
  14. Would be perfect id think, is completly waterproof and has been shock tested, let me know how much it runs if you get one i want one of the cnc cased 2900 series...