Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter industry refutes car insurance company claims

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by FALCON-LORD, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I can't find the origional thread with the AAMI Media release, but here is some info on the reply.

The scooter industry has dismissed claims that motor scooters are the new menace on the road.

AAMI Insurance had claimed in a national media release issued on 18 July, 2007 that a survey it commissioned found that "one-third (33 per cent) of drivers nationally said that scooters were the new menace on Australia's capital city roads."

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) and the affiliated Australian Scooter Federation (ASF) have questioned the substance of the suggestions based on the survey findings.

"The industry totally rejects these claims. AAMI has sought to draw a very long bow here. The claims are not supported by their own research," said FCAI chief executive, Andrew McKellar.

"I must say the industry is somewhat puzzled by the assertions contained in that press release, and the motives behind them, but generally if a question in a survey receives only 33 per cent support, then it suggests that 67 per cent did not support that view.

"The FCAI believes that the growing numbers of scooter riders are legitimate road users, and like most other road users the majority of them are responsible and sensible."

The FCAI represents Aprilia, BMW, Cagiva, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Hyosung, Kawasaki, MV Agusta, Triumph and Yamaha, while the ASF members are Aprilia, Bolwell Scoota, Bug Scooters, Daelim, Gilera, Honda scooters, Hyosung, Kymco, Peugeot scooters, Piaggio, Sachs, SCP, Suzuki, TGB, Vespa and Yamaha scooters.

The AAMI media release also pointed to data on motorcycle accident statistics and research that found that 32 per cent of motorcyclists admitted to sometimes not wearing correct protective clothing.

Mr McKellar said that FCAI members through their dealer networks actively advise new riders of their responsibilities to undertake rider training to gain learner and provisional rider permits, and the importance of purchasing necessary riding gear.

"The industry is very conscious of the importance of rider training for both new and experienced riders, and raising their awareness of updating their riding apparel in line with the use of new materials and designs that enhance rider protection in the event of an accident."

Mr McKellar called for co-operation between all stakeholders to raise levels of awareness of the different needs of the variety of vehicles that frequent roads in Australia's metropolitan areas.

"The FCAI believes that it is vital to unite all road users through a mutual understanding of the different types of vehicles that inhabit our roads, and we will continue to work with all stakeholders to ensure that process continues," Mr McKellar said.
  2. So farkin' what?
    Bike gear is like a car's airbag: you only need it if you crash.

How many car drivers would have to admit to driving a car that didn't have an airbag?
    Yeah, like - all of them.

The rest of the time, bike gear is what you wear because you'd get cold/etc otherwise.

I can't say enough good things about AAMI as far as their customer service goes: but whoever took conclusions out of this survey as, so called 'research' :arrow: is a d1ck.
  3. Your Kidding?
    Everyone I know that has had to deal with them has found them to be UTTERLY SH!T!
  4. Afraid I have to agree.
  5. service was ok but the quote i got for my bike (once they could find it in there system) was out of this world....more than double the best i got.
  6. :LOL: :p
  7. That Hurt report (appropriate name, huh) was in a country where many states did not have the legal requirement for a helmet.

Does that mean "less protective clothing than is totally ideal" or does it mean "less protective clothing than is required by law" cos there is a BIG difference...

This survey is a trumped up load of CRAP.
  8. What constitutes "correct" protective clothing?

Full one piece leathers, a grand's worth of boots and the latest whizz-bang, pimply 20 year old replica lid?

Or a reasonable attempt to keep all vulnerable areas of skin covered in something reasonably durable?

Or something in between?

A term like "correct" is meaningless unless it's defined.
  9. Here's a translation:

AAMI said in a press release it believes it can increase its profits by ingratiating itself with those car drivers who dislike scooter riders, at the expense of some potential customers who ride scooters. The motivation is that AAMI believes there is more money to be made insuring car drivers who do not like scooters, than there is insuring scooter riders.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
  10. This is crazy stuff , I would be surprised if the majority of scooter accidents would be the fault of the scooter . Its more plausable that damage to scooters would be more likely be caused by at fault drivers .
  11. Idiots come in all guises.
  12. Yup, they sure do, a lot of them actually ride scooters (yes, I do too). Seriously, the number of numbskulls I've seen on a scooter, minimum protective gear, riding as if they're on a high-powered bicycle (I've even seen some using bike paths - not the lane on the road - actual bike paths) is ridiculous. Still, you can't generalise about any group of road users. AAMI should try asking motorcyclists about what proportion of cages they regard as a menace on the road. I don't know about you guys, but I treat every car on the road as a potential menace.

- Guran
  13. hahahahaha what are they morons the majority of road users are complete and utter morons
  14. .........