Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter/Bike Hybrids in Australia?

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by RaindancerAU, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Anyone know of any of these type of machines that are being sold in Oz?

I remember reading a thread somewhere here a while back but I really cannot find it.

I'm referring to scooter/bikes like the CPI GTR:

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/cpi-gtr-150-sport-bike.aspx

I'd love to get one to help flatten the learning curve for my g/f - who will have enough of a time just learning to ride, let alone clutch operation and gear changing.

I'm hoping she can get comfortable riding on a CVT then start on clutch work later. She has yet to drive a manual cage as my sports car was stolen and stripped before I got the chance to teach her - I've now got an automatic sedan for practicality's sake.

2. [​IMG]
    Not a CVT so you still need to change gears - but you don't have to worry about a clutch so should still be good for a learner. They're also real cheap to buy 2nd hand and won't lose much if anything in value. So I reckon starting off on a cheap postie then moving up to a conventional 250cc/LAMs bike would make a lot more sense than forking out money on a new bike/scooter hybrid (if they even exist here).

3. Have you looked at a Gilera DNA ? They're around the $4k mark.
    People either love em or hate em. All the functionality of a scoot (fully auto) with the look (sort of) a sports bike.
    Theres a blue one (180cc) for $4k at Peter Stevens Melbourne. It's advertised on the Trading Post site.

4. Thanks for the replies folks :)

Didn't realise the C110(?) was clutchless. Seems like a good idea to me.

Though I have the feeling she would not dig the styling.

I came across the DNA when I was trying to find the CPI. I saw the ad in the trading post too. I couldn't find any info on distributors or anyone selling them in Australia however :?

The DNA or CPI would definitely hit the sweet spot IMHO - just the right thing I feel before putting her onto a GPX250 or VTR250 I think.

Wish I could find more info about getting one in Oz though.

5. Anyone know where/if those two models are available anywhere in Perth?

6.  Top
  7. A car thief that can drive a manual???

WTF??? ;-)

DBM

8. The CT110 has a clutch. But it's auto so so don't have to worry to much about it. Only four gears as well so again not much to worry about. As I know you can get the CT110 in all states as it is ussed by Aussie Post.

Also I heard that they are the best selling motorcycle in Australia, probally for reasons above + they are also built as an agricultural machine.

You can pick a 2nd hand one up for around 1.5k or a new one for under 4k.

Happy hunting.