Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter/bike for my wife... quick suggestions!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jabba, Feb 14, 2016.

1. So my wife dropped this bombshell on me out of nowhere. She said nonchalantly "I should get a scooter or something to ride to work so you can have the car when you are looking after the kids." So I parried with, "you better get your learners before the 19th of march when the new LAMs system kicks in" Now I better be on the ball with this and have scooters and bikes all lined up to check out.

The only thing is, it has to be cheap. I am thinking sub $2000. She works locally and will need to take a laptop and stuff with her. It would be best if the thing could go 100 so we could ride places together all romantic like.

Help me! Fire us the suggest-a-tron!

• Like Like x 1
  2. U can just about get a ninja 250 for $2k

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 Ozbiker1, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
    There's that ugly word again. motor scooter. Avoid scoots please at any price (Andy Close is gonna cane me, sorry Andy). Hopefully you've heard it all before. The whole experience is a real downer unless your totally off your trolley doing 20 kph in Ubud or Chang Rai having never owned a license or a schoolie in europe/ asia where you can ride a scoot unlicensed & unregistered if it's under 90cc approx.
    THEN what really fkn annoys me is the brain snap mentality upon ownership. 9/10 times when you see one of these fkwits riding on the road, they completely forget about the protective gear below the head.
    WHY?
    It simply staggers me when you see a drop dead gorgeous woman (& visa versa I suppose) riding around, smiling her tits off, clad in a bra, a thong & a pair of flip flops or scuffs doing 70 clicks or over an hour !
    end lesson.

4. It does get my attention, too.

I just don't get the anti-scooter business.

Assume, just for the moment, some one does most of their riding in the suburbs of Sydney or Melbourne, a scooter seems the obvious choice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. "I just don't get the anti-scooter business" CrazyCamCrazyCam

some don't :banghead:
    think demographics outside the square ... your logic is obvious however very debatable. your on the same page as the majority of scoot salespersons/ importers.

6. Get a cheap Ninja with a top box ;)
    Room for a picnic blanket..,

• Like Like x 2
  7. I'd just search bikesales and filter your state and max price of $2000, maybe max km and min yr if you want, and scroll through, see what's available. Ditto with gumtree.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Warning: If you get her a scooter she might want an upgrade in a few months!

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Assuming that if she is eyeing scooters, then your missus is thinking standard type ergos.

CB/CBF250?

CT110 Postie comes with a rack on the back so good for the practicality side of things. Probably not so good for the 100km/hr date rides though.

If she's open to super sports then there are plenty of YZF-R15's around.

10. [QUOTE="_.

If she's open to super sports then there are plenty of YZF-R15's around.[/QUOTE]
    super sports?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Well... Sports ish...

More the style/ride position that I'm getting at UG

12. still don't get you

13. C'mon mate, we all know a fully sick YZF150 with a yoshi is far quicker than your bike....it's like totally a super super-sports...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. image.

This style of ride position / bike style

image.

Vs this one.

Maybe I used the wrong description saying super sport or sport.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. but he was talking about the 125
    still faster than yours though

16. I'm known to be ponderously slow.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. $2k isn't much to play with.

I didn't want to suggest scooters.

18. I always ride within the posted limit.

We do mph here don't we?

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. #19 uncle greg, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
    +gst

why not
    jabba did

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 10% or are you a forward thinking man and embracing the bandied about 15%? :whistle: