Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter/bike article in The Age

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Dougz, Dec 22, 2007.

1.  Top
  2. Two statements that I think have some interesting context.
    '
    Environment Victoria says scooters have a place in the transition from a high-fuel consumption transport system to a more sustainable one. But the organisation's sustainable transport campaigner, Victoria McKenzie-McHarg, said public transport, cycling and walking were more sustainable options.

'
    Shows the attitude to the two wheeled community (less bicycles).

and

'
    The Australian Scooter Federation estimates that there have been only a handful of scooter fatalities in Australia in the past decade. Chairman Hollie Black said the industry was now "very crowded" and sales had plateaued. However, "it's a product that I think is going to be around for the long term".

The Australian Scooter Federation estimates that there have been only a handful of scooter fatalities in Australia in the past decade. Chairman Hollie Black said the industry was now "very crowded" and sales had plateaued. However, "it's a product that I think is going to be around for the long term".
    However
    The Transport Accident Commission does not collect data on scooter-related fatalities.
    '

3. As the media reports most road accident fatalities, this could be proven via a media search.

My $0.02

4. The media don't report on the type of bike/scooter and rarely report on non-fatal crashes. The lack of real data is a problem and something that has been raised at state (VMAC) and national levels. Hollie is almost certainly correct about the lack of scooter fatalities but there's no definite evidence until we get real stats.

Scootr crashes tend to be at lower speeds (it appears that the %age of single vehicle crashes is far far lower than for motorcycles - as you would expect since there's not as many ridden on roads with more than 80kph limits))

5. But the comment related to fatalities.

I agree the lack of data is a problem and I also hope that when they do expand the data that they also break it down so that 50CCs riding on standard motor vehicle licenses (in some states) are clearly identified in the data set.

Cheers.