Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter Advice please

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by jfiddy, May 10, 2010.

1. I'm moving onto my P's from a Ninja 250R and was looking at getting a small commuting scooter for mainly highway riding (over 70kmph) and possibly carrying a pillion too.

Is a 125cc scooter too weak for this? I was looking at getting a Cygnus or a Sachs Amici.

Any advice would be great.
  2. A good 125 would be just adequate but not with a pillion. I'd recommend a 175 or a 250 if you can afford it.

A good 125 will keep up with traffic but you'll have nothing in reserve if you need it.
  3. I have a Aprillia 250cc scoot for city commuting, but its crap on the highway. I would recommend sticking with the bike for highway's unless its only really short runs.

I am 100kg, 182cm, i can get get about 130kmh out of the scoot on the highway if the road is flat and the wind is behind me. So a 125 with pillion isn't going to be much chop.
  4. The wife and I just sold a Kymco Bug Espresso 150cc - it did OK over 70kmh 2-up, but as per the previous posts, there's not a WHOLE left in it.

If you do opt for a scooter over a bike, make sure you get one with full-sized wheels (not those silly tiny ones) as you'll have a smoother ride and much more comfortable high-speed control.
  5. I had a Vespa 200 GT that was fine on the highway (100-110) two up - but this was really only every now and then - I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. I would think that a 200-250cc would be fine for 70-80kph two up though.

+1 to the larger wheel size if possible.