Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scooter Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Jess27, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hi there,

I am wanting to purchase an affordable (less than 3k) new or second hand scooter suitable for a beginner female (weight under 60gs). Am after something easy to ride, aesthetic that will get me from A to B and capable of going on the Freeway for a short period of time. Am in the process of getting my license and am after any advice you may have?

Greatly Appreciated - Jess
  2. Go out and sit on as many different scooters as you can, even if they are out of our budget.

Then get online and research each one, any problems it might have, any forums that discuss it, esp maintenance and or parts costs etc.

Then find one that ticks all your boxes that is in your price range.

Most importantly, make sure that you get all the safety gear!

3. Try Cygnus. It should do what you need and it is reliable like all Yamahas. But for $3000 you can get only second hand.
  4. I'd suggest a couple of things:

- get your Ls first so you can test ride scooters (at least you don't need to have a scooter to do the pre-learners and get your Ls). You can sit on scooters in the showroom but that's not going to help you if you can't test ride them and get a feel for their handling;

- get a copy of the latest Scooter magazine which has a list of the scooters available and prices at the back....or visit
    http://www.scootercommunity.com.au/ and read the reviews of scooters from owners, and even ask for advice there (sorry mods, am I allowed to post a link to another website...??);

- while you're researching scooters, also research safety gear - like helmets, jackets, gloves, boots, pants/jeans. Don't forget to factor the cost of the gear....so if your budget is $3k, will you have any left over for the gear? The netrider forum is fantastic for feedback on gear and cost to give you an idea;

- I've got a SYM VS125 which is a 125cc. Great ride and I use it to commute to the city. I can reach 100km/hr easily and it'll cruise at that speed (I'm 56kg) but I wouldn't want to take it on the freeway for long periods...I wouldn't have anything extra if I needed to accelerate away from trouble. You might want to have a look at scooters with a bigger engine like a Bug Espresso, SYM Euromx...although you'll find that the bigger the scooter, the more expensive they'll be and heavier they'll be (there are some exceptions). There are lots of scooters so test ride as many as you can so you get a feel for what you like and don't like...then compile a list of your must-haves and nice-to-haves to tick off against each scooter.

Good luck
  5. All Good advice... but WYSIWYG hit the nail on the head with the VS125 cant get better for the price, handles like a dream and tho build quality isnt up to a yamaha.. its really really good and the price is too.

I travelled on 110km roads with mine for a good 3 months and even got up to that speed sometimes :grin: