Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

School 1960 vs School 2009

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by Ljiljan, Sep 29, 2009.

1. How things have changed!

School 1960 vs. School 2009

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2009 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, AVOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1960 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.

2009 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Vinh fails high school English.

1960 - Vinh goes to Remedial English, passes and goes to college.

2009 - Vinh's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Vinh is given his School Certificate anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2009 - Security and ASIO are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

Old mate told me a story a while back. He went to primary? school in Wentworth Falls in round about 70's i reckon.

The students favourite and most respected teacher there had a big thick wardrobe with these massive coat hangers in them. When a student misbehaved more than he reckoned allowable, he would take out a coat hanger and hang them up by their blazer in the wardrobe and wouldnt let them out until they tried to stop kicking the door open.

if they continued to muck up he would grab them and hold them out the window, which was on the second floor, and give them a thorough shaking.

And if they cried to their mummies about it, daddy would give them another thumping for mucking up in school.
  2. It wasn't like that in school in the 60's, you are looking through rose coloured glasses at a time now gone.

Try instead a borderline psychotic principal with a selection of solid leather horse straps (he called them belts but they weren't) who got off on belting little boys bums with leather.

The school yard fights were as a rule just out of control bullying and no people didn't become friends, they just got beat up again the next day because the bullies thought it was fun and you couldn't go to the teachers because that just got you targeted instead of the kids getting beaten up.

No fans in the school rooms and 100 degree heat, no grass in the yard (just gravel), class rooms with a class size of 30 plus. Rote learning that gave the dull kids no chance and made the bright kids bored because it went to slow.

It wasn't the picnic you paint...
  3. But the leaders of our society today went to schools in the 60s.

Schools weren't all like that in the 60s; YOU'RE overstating the case as much as the OP's scenario is.

I went to a state high school in the Newcastle area in the 60s where the Principal used to wear his school tie if we all turned up in proper uniform; we made it a point to try and do just that, to please him. He always spoke of 'This great school of ours', and many of our graduates went on to become great people themselves; many doctors, a few airline pilots, one an Australian Test Cricket player. Out of 850 children in the school ONLY ONE smoked cigarettes and drugs were unheard of. I still visit with and have great times with my old music teacher, who's now 80; a man who we all loved then and whose extended 'family' of old boys and girls number thousands. Earlier this year over 3,000 people attended the scchool's 50th anniversary celebrations. My preciseness in the use of the English language I owe to Terry Franklin, my old English teacher, who I met again at that celebration.

Working as I now do in a state-run behaviour school, I remember then and look at now. I KNOW what I experienced then, and I KNOW what I see now. Given the choice?????
  4. Scenario: Australia hardens the f*** up.

Thats the scenario I want to see. So people cop some (usually) minor abuse in school and the HSC is a big, stressful mess. And? Sounds like being a teenager to me.

There'll always be people who take things a notch too far, or do something stupid in an even stupider place...and get done for it. Incidences of extreme violence are out there, sure, but they're extreme violence, not common 'jimmy hits billy' violence. They're not common or tolerable, thats what makes them extreme.

Its also why they make the news without fail.

To the OP, I thought the post was a laugh. Good stab at modern society. My school was pretty good, the usual shit-kicking amongst kids but nothing out of the ordinary. Good teachers, good classes, good memories. There were a few not so good ones, but thats highschool for you.

- boingk
  5. Given the choice I'd take now without a thought, but I'm glad your experiences weren't as bad as most of the kids in this area.
  6. A lot has to do with the school and the socio-economical area of where the kids come from.
    Where I work it is predominately middle class and the parents care about their kid's schooling. We don't have many discipline issues and very minor bullying issues which we nip in the bud.
    2 suburbs down and the teachers are ready to commit suicied due to the shitful nature of the students and the lack of care most of the parents show towards their kid's schooling.
    People all blame schools but in reality a school is ths sum of all its parts which means the amount of care the teachers have added to the amount of support the student's parents have. A good school is a happy school.
  7. Jeez, I went to school in the 80's and 90's. I didn't get beaten up (well not by the teachers), would sneak out of school to do whatever mischief we pleased at lunch time. Didn't pay attention in class, spoke back to the arrogant teachers, behaved for the good ones. Spent as much time as I could with the girls and in the music room. Still managed to pass with good grades and get into Uni. Glad I didn't go to school with any you blokes, sounds like it would have sucked.
  8. Terry Franklin is a bloody legend.

He was my High School principal. He still adjudicates debates around the Newcastle area (I have teacher friends up there still). A few years ago he was quite sick.

On the day he retired from being our principal (and from teaching full stop), an announcement came over the loudspeaker for me to report to his office at 3pm. I went in there and he said "your died hair and your boots are NOT school uniform" and then he laughed and said getting me in trouble was the way he wanted to end his career.

I have never felt so privileged!!! We got along very well, I though he was great.
  9. I swear, we see this every year... still amusing to read. Still--

The ones that make the policy now... So how did that feed back... Those that pushed the reforms of the eighties and ninties were likely educated in the 50s...

What the hell went wrong back then? :facepalm:
  10. Schools then were the same as they are now. Institutions for instilling a subserviance to authority into young minds. Where any form of individualism is identified and destroyed. And greedy little consumers are manufactured. Chew your cud cows, chew your cud!
  11. What pompous ignorant garbage :roll:
  12. The stories I could tell too; it was real joy to shake his hand and thank him for instilling in me a love of English which has stood by me for nearly 50 years.

I must tell you, though, he created a minor scandal in Speers Point in 1962. Just remember that the year was 1962, in conservative Newcastle, but Mrs Franklin (they would both have been only in their late twenties or at worst early thirties) scanadalised our street by sun-baking on the front lawn of their house in a leopard-print bikini :shock:. Us young blokes thought Mr F was tops when we heard that :LOL:.
  13. Only a simple mind succumbs to this kind of brainwashing, therefore promoting the naturally gifted.
  14. Err, shouldn't that be "precision"?
  15. No. You FAIL.
  16. Not according to my Collins dictionary I don't!
  17. Merriam-Webster has a bigger penis than your Collins.

Main Entry: pre·cise
    Pronunciation: \pri-ˈsīs\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French precis, from Latin praecisus, past participle of praecidere to cut off, from prae- + caedere to cut
    Date: 15th century

1 : exactly or sharply defined or stated
    2 : minutely exact
    3 : strictly conforming to a pattern, standard, or convention
    4 : distinguished from every other <at just that precise moment>
    synonyms see

— pre·cise·ness noun

Main Entry: preciseness
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: accuracy
    accurateness, carefulness, certainty, closeness, correctness, definiteness, definitiveness, definitude, efficiency, exactitude, exactness, faultlessness, incisiveness, mastery, meticulousness, precision, rightness, sharpness, skill, skillfulness, strictness, sureness, truthfulness, veracity, verity

Shal I go on?
  18. Haha moley it's a word. Give up.
  19. Wow. For a moment i thought I had posted this in off-topic, not in Jokes and Humour.

Yes, it is an exaggeration, and yes, exaggeration is a popular technique in humour.
    Accept that it makes a snide reference to over the top political correctness in today's society, caused by the over-pampering and over-protectiveness of parents on their children and move on.
  20. Mole retreats to burrow and installs Collins on toilet paper holder.