Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scary Whining Noise

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Paulie, May 10, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I went for a ride today (50kms) and the whole time I was riding it was cool (except when I ran outta petrol doing 110kph down the freeway). So anyways, I finish my ride and as I'm pulling into my street I noticed that my indicator wasnt flashing! So I pulled into the driveway and killed the engine and when I nudge the indicator button the required light lights up but doesnt flash and theres a whining noice coming from under the seat (I think maybe one of those little black boxes on the right).

Anyone have any ideas? (It stops whining as soon as you turn the indicator off)

Thanks all
  2. You have a fried relay.
  3. Thought this was going to be a thread about the missus.

Sorry Alison.
  4. You read my thoughts...... :shock:
  5. Very Good Vic!

Oddly, I rang the bike shop and they said the same thing so I hopped on the bike to take it down to the shop to get new relay and the indicators were working perfectly! So i went down to the shop anyways and bought a new one just in case (figured maybe it was on its last legs) It only cost $15 so that was good!

One other question...a very NEWBIE type question!... But after i ran outta petrol on the freeway i went to the petrol station and filled the tank..... question is.. how much do you fill it up? Like, until its at the top where you close the filler or a few inches below that?
  6. As high as you like.
  7. I stop when the petrol reaches the botom of the rim...

--------\.........../-------------top of tank
    _____[_____]_____petrol level

hope this helps
  8. Look at the bottom of your fuel cap.
    When you close it, will there be enough gap for it to sit in? i.e will it spill out the top if you close the lid?

Fill it to as high as you want, as long as the cap doesnt cause the fuel to overflow. Not that it's a big deal, it will just run into the drain and out from the underneath of the bike.
  9. Thanks guys! I'd be so damn lost without all you guys!

I just wasnt sure where to stop filling so I stopped about 2 inches from the top of the tank

10. no wonder u ran out :LOL: keep a check of how u put in as compared to how many km"s since your last fill that way u can guestimate how many k's u can get out of a tank :wink:
  11. Running out on the freeway shouldn't be such a drama, once you feel the bike starting to show the symptoms you just flick to reserve and jam it on over to the petrol station. Only time it's a prob is if some stooge tampers with your parked bike and sets your tap to reserve before hand :p

Any ideas why its happened again? :)

13. thats the best ASCII art i've seen in a long time. kudos. :LOL: