Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scary moment on Macquarie Pass

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Nov 30, 2015.

1. On Saturday I went out for a quick run up the Pass and round 'The Loop' to test my new music Earmolds.
    In the light of the recent entrapment activities, when I had three cars in front of me, I decided to stay behind them, and turn around and head out through Jamberoo instead.
    On the first corner on the way down I changed down a couple of gears and squeezed the front brake; NOTHING, no deceleration!!!
    Thankfully I wasn't going silly fast, I had time to pull in the clutch and try and slow on the back brake. When I pulled in the clutch, the revs swung round to about 7,000!!!
    So short straight, time to assess; my Oxford heated grip had come unglued from the throttle sleeve on the handlebar, and the wiring for the grip was right round at the front of the bar, preventing the brake lever from coming in any more than a few millimetres!!
    I pottered home with my heart rate quickly returning to normal.
    The bike's in for a service on Tuesday anyway, and I'll get the guys to fix it, but just a word of warning; watch out for the grip coming unglued and swivelling round to the point where it can impede your braking!

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Strewth mate - nasty situation. Glad to hear you're OK, and thanks for the heads up!

If I was in your shoes, I know the bike isn't the only thing that needs a service - my underwear would as well. ;-)
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. So.........
    My mechanic rings up yesterday and says I have a slight leak in the right fork seal, and the steering head bearings are a bit worn. That's ok, it's in for a service, fix it.
    In the afternoon I go to collect the bike, big panic, sorry should have rung you, it's not ready. Why, I ask?
    We've found the right fork leg is slightly bent, we need to send it to Sydney to get it straightened.
    I've never crashed the bike so it must have been like this the whole time I've had it, which makes me wonder if it really matters since I haven't noticed any problems with the handling, but anyway, a simple service is turning into a half bike rebuild :LOL:.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. My Oxford grips became a bit loose during my resent 4 day Snowy Ride, I guess 2 days of rain might have helped with that.Had something similar happen but mine was at full lock moving out of a parking spot. The heater cable made contact with the tank and I couldn't get any throttle movement. off idle. A bit auquid on tippy toes and rough ground.
    Seems mine gradually crept around a tiny bit at a time without me noticing. They will be contact glued, I used the Laque hair spray trick the first time I fitted them.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That's classic impact damage, worn steering head and a leaking fork seal. Might not have affected the handling, but that's what made the seal fail. Put a new seal in and would probably just happen again sadly. I take it the bike was 2nd hand when you bought it? Did you buy it from a dealer?

I'm taking a dislike to Oxford heated grips as well just quietly, although mine was the left hand side, I was stopped at lights, went to put it in gear and there was a massive clunk, same deal the clutch was only half way in because the heated grip had swung around and the wiring was preventing the clutch lever from travelling all the way in.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yes I bought the bike second hand off a motorcycle wrecker in Chipping Norton. It was unregistered, but it was clean and straight and riding it, then and since, gave no indication of anything wrong. To be charitable, he had bought it off someone else so he probably didn't know its history either.
    Anyway I'm probably never going to sell it so it's worth my while to fix it...
  7. Just do yourself a favour and measure its wheelbase accurately. There have been horror stories of triple trees and frames later cracking in hard to see places, if the wheel base has changed I would not ride the bike further.
  8. So after parting with over $800 yesterday afternoon I pick it up this morning. Not bad for a simple service and a re glue of the heated grips, eh?? Who said motorcycling was a cheap form of transport/recreation???
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. If it's the VFR in your avatar then it may have been written off before the mandatory reporting legislation came into effect. I'm assuming the mechanics did a thorough inspection whilst the head stem remove?
  10. I take your point but there no indication anywhere (pegs, bars, frame, etc) that it's had a biff ...
    That said, it MIGHT explain why it has a different ignition key to the tank key....
    Yes, Garry is a very thorough mechanic: he's checked everything.
  11. Glad to see your ok if not lighter in pocket than expected :)
  12. #12 fruechtel, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    How cheap or expensive motorcycling is, is entirely up to you. It is the same with any other motor vehicle. If you want economy, buy a 110cc Honda postie bike; or you can go for a $ 30k performance bike. There is something to be said for buying a new one and enjoying the security of having a warranty; if you can afford it. I can fully understand that. But I have owned well over 20 motorcycles and scooters and none of them was a new one. I only ever bought privately from sellers I judged i could trust. After a while you get the knack of separating the ones where you better walk away and the odd good one who has looked after his bike meticulously and has a genuine reason for selling. If you have patience and internet, you can buy a bike in " as new condition" for around half price. If you have bought a sound bike, with a good set of tools and some common sense you can maintain most bikes yourself to some degree.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I had an almost similar situation where the heated grips (the brand is the only one you would normally see in any bike shop). It was similar but heated grip had come adrift as I left home. I used Araldite 5 Minute, it never moved again. I was selling the bike and the new owner said "remove the heated grips and I'll buy it". I could not get the nylon sleeve off the bar without damaging it.
  14. Yes, I understand that, but my mechanic said that he HAD to use superglue because other glues would degrade the actual grip itself, Oxford say. Anyway, he re-glued it, and told me to keep an eye on it.......
  15. Renthal grip glue seems to work with heated grips (or it does with mine). PS in melb uses a cheap glue that doesn't.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Wow hornethornet a kilo of sards, a hug and some cake coming your way.
    Could've gone very pear-shaped but for me as a novice, it certainly made me think what on earth, apart from the requisite buttock clench and fornicating blasphemous outbursts, would I have done...interesting to think on...

^^^^ Makes me glad I decided against getting oxford heated grips. My heated gloves are just fine methinks.