Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scared to get back on after accident

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by spacesuit_spew, May 6, 2007.

1. I had an accident 23 weeks ago on my new bike (new rider). It was a freak low speed accident and the bike is fine- not a scratch on it.

Unfortunately I am not so fine. I have a very bad compound fracture of the femur among other injuries. Xrays last week show the bone is still not healing and I will most likely need a bone graft in a month. So even though it has been 23 weeks since the accident it looks like there will be at least another 4 -5 months in my recovery process (and after that I will need to learn how to bend my knee again).

My problem is that what do I do about getting back on? The bike is fine, its stored on the shed (and running out of warranty I might add).

I love my bike and I love riding, but omg this has really made me realise the fragility of life. I have already decided that before I get back on I will take another course of lessons as well as do an advanced road craft course, for my own reassurance if nothing else.

But even then, the thought of getting back on scares me.

I would love to hear from others who have had serious injuries and how they dealt with it and riding again.

2. life is fragile and things could have been worse for you.

i had a shocka of a crash, 7 years later im still in the recovery phase.

im not getting back on a bike without taking action first. there are 2 things that cause an accident

1 the rta is incompetent

2 your path in life.

i am desperately trying to make changes so i can be happy to get on the road.

ive been making the right moves towards the rta but as for the other, tis a little more tricky.

i see a spiritual healer who has passed every test i have tossed at her. next time i see her im going to ask about my path and what dangers i can expect to help me make up my mind.

she talks to her consious self, her cs talks to my sc and she translates info back to me. i bring friends along, they're flabagasted!

stump it up! :cool:

3. Morey: "What do we do when we fall off the horse?"

Zoolander: "...."

Morey: "We get back on!"

Zoolander: "Sorry Morey, I'm not a gymnast."

---

If you love riding, further your ability then get the hell back on and have a ball :D

4. You have to do whats best for yourself, when you feel comfortable again you'll be right to ride again.
    Saying that dont leave it too long :grin: You obviously got into riding becasue you had 'the urge', so dont forget that, get into the garage and sit on that beast and remember the good times.
    Goodluck with the recovery :grin:

5. It's very common to feel this way after any trauma. Car accident victims go through it too.

But, with motorcycling, there is an UNNATURAL fear that you have been conditioned to for years.

Ask yourself this: If you had broken your leg playing football, would you never play football again?

If the answer is yes, then thats fine. Sell the bike and give up the sport. You're inherantly a cautious person and there is nothing wrong with that.

If the answer is no, then you may need to seek a trauma counsellor before getting on the bike again. Or even just taking it slow and only riding in what you see as safe situations (eg supervised with friends) until you get your confidence back up.

But, if you ride again you take a risk again. Only you can say if you can ever do that.

Some would say every time you step out the door you take a risk. But an asteriod could fall on your house too.....

6. Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, The Twilight of the Idols (1899)

7. Sorry to hear spacesuit_spew,
    I believe that all new riders need to drop their bike at least one time, sounds like you were unlucky, dont let it stop you. I've managed to drop almost every bike I've owned, one was only 10 minutes old, straight from the shop I parked in on the lawn and the sidestand sank into the dirt :-(

After 20 odd years of riding I've hung up my helmet, I figured that I have got away with way too much over the years of riding into the city from the North East. Im not really a spiritual person, however I spent the last year riding with a monkey on my back and after a nasty dream I figured that someone was trying to tell me something. I hadnt even had a big scare to keep me honest, that may have been the problem as I was going quicker and quicker. I miss my ZZR1100, its still sitting in the gararge (never dropped that one), the train just doesnt do it for me!

8. Just out of interest, how is that you were injured in the accident yet your bike wasn't??

9. Get back on the hose son. I say this party cause I grew up with horses and mostly because it makes good sense. You don't have to get back into riding if you don't want to but it will help your confidence to take it up the road and back. Alternatively, track and trail riding is an option. :)

Stacks can and do effect you. I was involved in a big car accident during pouring rain in 1998 and still hate driving in the rain as a result. I do it though, because I'm not prepared to let one event of bad luck stop me from living. :)

10. Get a trusted mate to take you for a few pillion rides when your leg's better, and get the feel back again. That should tell you whether you want to take the reins. Like someone else said, you could have broken your leg playing football......

11. I say dont be too harsh on yourself mate. First things first - get yourself better. Take your time and just see how you go. Dont feel pressured to get back on if you dont want to just yet. It will come in time.

12. You're the only person who can decide whether you want to get back on or not. It's ok to say no - it's natural to be afraid of something that has an element of risk to it, especially once you've had a taste of what that risk is. If you decide yes, congratulations. If you decide no, chances are it won't be forever if you really love it.

13. Hello Spacesuit_Spew

My advice is to not think about riding untill you get much better physically. This is the kind of advice I have recieved after my off with my son as pillion and sustaining left leg and lower back damage.

When you are better take the bike on some quiet safe roads where there is little to no traffic and get the feel of the bike ( have a shadow if it makes you feel more secure ).

After riding it a few times then you can hopefuly make a decision regarding the future of your riding.You will know then, you need to have the head in the right place first and this can not be acheived when still healing.

14. Dude, as duffman said don't be too hard on yourself. If you've decided it not worth the risk then thats cool.

But if you want to get back on, then take it one step at a time. Plan out what you think it will take to get your confidence back up, may mean that you just need to start off riding in car parks, do an advanced riding course, or 10 if you need to. Take the steps that you feel will overcome the hurdle.

Bikes are inherently high risk, the key is to minimise it as much as possible.

Just tp throw another one in the mix.....a wise man once said

Why do we fall sir? So we may better learn to pick ourselves up (Alfred Pennyworth......Batman Begins hahaha).

Good luck

15. Not all crashes end in serious injury.

You must have been pretty unlucky if you scored a broken leg and the bike escaped with no damage :shock:

I've had 2 stacks, and the bike came way worse off than I did.

I repaired the bike, healed a little bit of gravel-rash, and kept riding.

Why?

Because it's fun :)

You're probably thinking about what's a good idea, and what's sensible, and what's safe, and what is best for yuou in the long run.

... but what do you want???

If you want to get back on the bike; then do it.
    If you don't want to, then sell it and move on with life... you'll have a cool story and a scar to show chicks :grin:

16. Opinion

Your trouble i guess is you are thinking of it , or deciding , or calculating , or summizing separatly , and now asking .
    One either Do's or Do's not.

Either way its death :wink: .

I suggest NO until your ready to Die or at least do not care :grin: .[/b]

17. Thanks everyone for all of your advice. The thing that stood out for me in all of your words of wisdom was don't make a decision about getting back on until I have healed. That makes a lot of sense to me.

As it turns out, the times when I have seriously thought about just selling the bike and being done with it, a friend has turned up to take the bike out of the shed and start it for me. As soon as I see it I fall in love with it all over again and think 'how could I possibly sell it?' (while simultaneously thinking 'how could I ever get on it again?').

I'll now wait until my healing is done before I make a decision.

Thanks guys :grin:

PS Ktulu I am a chick, so my cool scars will have to impress the boys :wink:

PPS how the accident happened : I had been riding all day in heavy traffic and on the open highway and all was great...then I came home and right next to my house I was in first gear coming over the gutter (at 90 degrees) and the front wheel lost traction and did a mono (not great in a cruiser) and the throttle opened and when the wheel came down it hit the ground hard on loose leaves and my direction shifted, to my horror I found myself heading full-on into a tree.

I hit it at 45 degrees so my leg took the brunt of the impact (the bone was pushed out the back of my leg) and the bike pushed my leg further into the tree. Then I was flung about 5 metres and hit the ground dislocating my shoulder and separating the bones there.

18. I have said this before and I will say it again.

Riding terrifies me....... I have had more accidents that most people have had teeth pulled....... More breaks and concussions and some even more serious things. I clasify myself as lucky as I am alive and little permanent injuries.

Yes, it scares me, so much so that some days I just wont ride. But, I look at my life without a bike and then see I am happier with the bike...... So, I take that risk. But, I take that risk with seriousness and never ever push beyond my limits.

Some-one said life is fragile and accidents happen whether you are ready for them or not..... You need to make a decision here that only you and your heart can decide...... I am sure that many of us would feel terrible if we advised you to get back on your bike and something happened..... I know I would... That is why i wont suggest it.

Ignore all the hype from people saying get back on the horse or be prepared to die before you get on a bike...... all that is crap and useless.

It come down to you bubba, it all comes down to you.

Good luck with what ever decision you make.

God speed.

19. Riding can be dangerous, fear can be your friend, chicks/blokes dig scars. A million and one cliches can be trotted out but at the end of the day I believe that if I was in a similair situation I decided not to ride again I would have to think whether fear was ruling my life, even if you decide not to ride again you still need to come to terms with the fear or it will pop up somewhere else in your life.

Keep smiling and go and polish your bike. :grin:

20.  Top