Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scaly friends

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by YamahaWoman, Mar 27, 2014.

1. As suggested by @Petesul@Petesul I've started this thread to show you my scaly friends. If other members on here have snakes or other scaly friends or any pics of you with something scaly (not your ex wives or husbands) post them up.

Here are my 4 babies:
    Prince: Murray Darling carpet python.
    I bought Prince when he was just 7 months old, he's now 5 and is my favourite snake due to his placid nature.
    12709600454_3aa745a24a.
    Baby pic:
    12266077623_fe5b6470ae.
    Lilly: water python.
    I'm not sure on Lilly's exact age but she was probably about a year or so old when I got her. She'd be about 4 now.
    12351364963_131e8cd2fa.
    Baby pic:
    10922506426_da04a2bbd8.
    Lucy: Proserpine coastal carpet python.
    Lucy was 5 months old when I got her and was a problem feeder. She's not as big as she should be and I'm not sure if she'll ever get to the size these snakes usually do (7ft) but she's otherwise healthy and behaves like a normal python should. She's now 4.
    12265886045_249092f9a2.
    Baby pic:
    10922517876_d962c1c6fb.
    Sahara: Centralian carpet python.
    I got Sahara when she was just 8 weeks old, bought her from a breeder and was able to see her parents. The father was very dark in his colouring but the mother was a beautiful bright orange. It was hard trying to pick a hatchling that would turn out like her because these snakes are dark in colour when they hatch. I got lucky when I picked this one! She's also 4 years old now.
    10922501945_3691da7a20.
    Baby pic:
    10922547016_b0eb100550.

• Like Like x 1
  2. They are beautiful snakes, Tahlia. I used to live in the bush and we had a regular visitor of a 10ft plus python which used to curl up on our verandah. When I moved to the 'burbs I wanted to get a snake but circumstances changed and so it didnt happen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks :) They're pretty easy to look after and don't have to be fed every day which is just as well, you can buy frozen rat/rabbits from some pets shops but there's a shortage in rodent supplies at the moment. People don't want to risk feeding wild rodents to their pets, you never know what diseases they might have or whether or not they've eaten bait. It's not worth the risk, the proper feeder breeders (if they're good ones) look after their rodents and make sure they're healthy. After death they're frozen for about about a month before being sold just in case there was anything nasty in their system.

The electricity bill is the worst part of having them because they need to kept at around 32 degrees Celsius. Other than that they're quiet and don't wreck things around the house since they live in enclosures. I'm glad you didn't freak out when you noticed a large snake on your veranda, it must have been a good spot if the snake kept coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great photos Tahlia! Unfortunately I have no contributions to make here... :(

5. Sure you do. Totally legit...

13438516294_c72a0b7d26.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Often thought about getting a pet snake.

How big is your enclosure to house those four beasties?

7. They've each got separate enclosures, all but one are in 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tanks, the other is 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. They've all got things to climb on and are more active at night (you usually don't want to touch them at night, that's when they hunt) and during the day they coil up and sleep in their hide rocks or in a corner of their tank.

8. That's quite a committment of living space devoted to your snakes. Obviously a passion!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dunno if these guys count.....

14022012041. IMGP0715.JPG
    Just some of the assorted wildlife around out house.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OMG! He's tickling my back!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I used to get regular visits from a diamond bellied python on my deck, he slept in next door's gutter during the day. He was a huge old thing and quite passive, he moved on when I got a Pit Bull/Greyhound x (AKA Lurcher) the Rottie never bothered him though.

No pics unfortunately as we assumed he'd never leave.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 YamahaWoman, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Thankfully we live in a place big enough for it, the house before this one was a different story. We were there for 11 weeks and it was tiny and not in great condition. There was no room for the enclosures in the house so they had to be out in the garage which was large but metal and got so hot during one of the heat waves that two of my snakes died. One was very food oriented so would take a chunk out of me if I wasn't careful but the other was a gentle giant. He was at least 7ft long and had almost died a few years back thanks to his neglectful owner.

An adult python can survive for over a year without eating anything and still be fine, but this snake was terribly thin. It would have taken a long time to end up in that condition. He also had scarring from burns, he was probably kept in a tank with a ceramic heater and since snakes will continue to wrap themselves around things that burn them that's probably how that happened. I'm not sure why he was neglected, he had one of the best temperaments I've seen on a snake.

The previous owner gave him to a local pet shop that sold snakes and they expected nothing for him, they said they'd had snakes in there that were in better condition than him that didn't make it but after 3 months of rehab he came good. He was still very thin when I got him, he only weighed 2.1kg and I was told that he may never shed his skin in a whole piece again because of his scars but he did. Sometimes he needed help shedding so I'd put him in the bath to help the skin come off. He hated it but never bit. He was over 4kg when he died, much better than when I got him. His name was Samson.

When I first got him:
    12232809054_426c60b02c.
    13442018745_e13cfa7013.
    When he was better:
    12232809424_3341c2e25c.
    12232808094_9d4238fba0.
    I had him cremated, I had to put him in my saddlebag (I don't have a car) and traveled almost an hour to the crematorium. I still have one of the skins he shed that's intact too.
    12232408915_cb3a875115.
    The other snake Lulu was much smaller, so I bought a pot and plant and buried her in there.
    12232400205_645f9f97a1.

• Like Like x 1