Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Scala Rider G4 headphone socket mod

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by gundy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Sometimes I think life would be so much easier, if I could just be happy with things as they are, like everybody else seems to be.

I recently purchased a Scala Rider G4 headset, and I'm sad to say that the sound quality just wasn't quite what I was expecting. I'm pretty fussy audio-wise, so if you're "normal", ignore this and move on :) Seriously, I wish I could have too :)

I had previously tried using in-ear headphones under the helmet with an mp3 player, and they seemed to work okay. This got me wondering whether I could make the scala rider unit use external headphones too, and whether it would improve the audio quality. I decided to give it a go, and replaced the speakers in the unit with a 3.5mm headphone socket that I could hook my own headphones into.

This obviously voids the warranty, although I am pretty confident I could put it all back how it was and it would be hard to tell the difference. I didn't have to destroy any security stickers or anything to make it work, and none of the original parts were damaged.

I've attached a pic of the result below. The headphone socket can be seen just poking out from under the rear of the cheek-pad lining.

So far, I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out. Using some in-ear headphones I can actually hear bass. And treble. And everything else. The audio quality of the unit is surprisingly good when hooked into a decent set of headphones. Another benefit is the in-ear headphones cut out a fair amount of wind/road noise too.

If anybody wants more info, let me know and I'll try to explain what I did to make it all work in a bit more detail.

Attached Files:

2. I've been thinking I need to upgrade the speakers - they overload so easily. The quality of the sound was better than I thought it would be though. I'd like in ear, but I can't find a pair that will work with my helmet & ears.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'

3. i got a sony erricson phone[be a couple of years old now, slide type] came with good bud earphones, 3.5 socket to plug into mp3's, might worth a look?

4. How does that work with the mic if you want to talk though? I'm pretty sure my phone doesn't have a mic input through it's 3.5mm socket :(, and even if I could use a mic that way I'd need to find a way to mount it in the helmet/get push to talk going etc.

Overall I'm really happy with the functionality of the scala rider - it works really well for it was advertised to do.. FM radio, push-to-talk, no hands voice-only-answering, rider-to-rider comms, remotely controlling the media player on the cellphone etc etc. The mic seems particularly good in terms of it's noise reduction - even on the freeway I could be clearly heard and understood. The only thing that really bugged me was the audio quality through the inbuilt phones. As far as I'm concerned, with the mod, they're now pretty close to perfect :)

Regarding in-ear headphones.. I had trouble with my good pair too. They stuck out too far. I decided to go out on a limb, and threw a $7.99 pair from the supermarket in with the groceries because they looked smaller. They weren't too great sound-quality wise to start with, but I ended up modding them too by sealing the 1mm hole in the outside ends with candle wax. I'm actually pretty impressed with them now. Almost to the point where I may not upgrade them. The candle wax helped with the bass response and also helped to seal out more of the outside noise.

Like I said, it's the story of my life - nothing ever gets left as-is :)

5. Nice Job Dave,
    Sorry but I am in the normal sense. My ride to Noojee I was very happy with the sound of my Mp3's of my phone. IF only my phone battery lasted longer. :(

Anyway I how did you go with the MIC? Asked for a swap over to full face version only to be told there is no swap over version. Looks like $70 to get full face mic, speaker version. I am going to try gaffer tape 1st but too see if that works in holding the MIC down

6. You're lucky being normal.. enjoy it :)

On the battery issue, a high(ish) current 5v dc-dc converter with multiple USB charging points is on my list of potential future builds :) I figured it would be good if I could charge phone/headset etc on the go, and unlimited charge for gopro would be kind of cool too. I'll let you know if I get it off the ground.

I got lucky there. The mic fits in my helmet fine, and there's no contact with my face at all. After looking at the internals of the unit, I reckon it would be pretty straightforward to convert the boom mic to a corded version though, if you wanted to give it a go. The mic is just connected with 2 wires that are run through the middle of one of those flexible metal conduits (coated in plastic). Remove the conduit and you've got a corded version :)

7. So all I need to do is cut the boom and pull the mic out or get a waterproof mic and wire it?

8. I don't think any cutting will be required. The boom detaches from the helmet mounted bit quite easily. 2 wires to unsolder on the inside and that's it. The mic end is easy to pull apart too. It's all just clipped together. Slide the little cover piece back up the boom, and the two halves of the mic surround pull apart. The mic itself just looks like a little electret insert.

9. Hey Gundy, just heard about Simmoncelli, sad news..
    My earphones can be unplugged from the mic to the connect plug at the fone end...
    With ear plugs being too big, might want to try balclava on to keep the plugs from peeling out of ears when putting the helmet on? just a thought, mic has been used and was told I was heard ok, i dont have voice command tho nor pusk to talk..